Saturday, September 13, 2008

more successful experiment no. 1


Wilbur the Whale
Originally uploaded by slothmuffin

Meet Wilbur, my first ever sewing machine project! When I found this stuffed whale pattern my mom had from the 70s, I knew I had to make one. (Or more. Do you think anyone would buy one of these on Etsy? I'm hoping so.) The pattern still needs to be modified a little---I made it about half the size of the original (which was 18" long, so I guess Wilbur is probably about 9") but the tail (which you can't really see in this photo) is proportioned too small, and he kind of has an underbite (also somehow minimized in this photo. Clearly, I shot him from his good side.). He's also sort of lumpy and asymmetrical. If I were a lot younger, that would add to his charm. As it is, I just need to practice so the next one is better. (And I have an awesome idea for the next one...)

I think my mom has always hoped I'd want to learn how to sew, so we're both having fun. I've been watching her sew things as long as I've been alive, and I never really understood what the draw was, since it always looked like it required more patience than I had to give, but I enjoyed this. There's something very cool about watching a three-dimensional thing come together seam by seam until you can tie the knot on its last slightly-creepy button eye and go I made a whale!!

Wilbur and I are going to go watch Gossip Girl now.

2 comments:

  1. It can't be very surprising that I want to make A COLONY of Wilbur Whales now. The pattern of the cloth for the inside of his mouth is BRILLIANT, and his crazy button eye! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, don't worry. You get a whale no matter what, but in the likely event that no one wants to buy any whales, you can have lots of them. (I was talking to my mom about this yesterday. She was like "THEN MICHELLE WILL HAVE A POD! :D") Anyway, if you have any colour/pattern sort of requests re: a whale, let me know.

    ...Also, I'm realizing that I have no idea if you'll ever see this comment or not, since I don't know how this stuff works on blogger.

    ReplyDelete