Monday, October 20, 2008

secret-gurumi, revealed!


Originally uploaded by slothmuffin

Presenting Patrick the desk cactus, made from a modified version of a pattern in Amigurumi World, which I highly recommend, the patterns are beyond adorable and easy to follow. Now that he's arrived at his destination, he can be introduced to the internet. (The original started-cactus that I posted a picture of last week was just too big, so I started it over with fewer increases. The first one is now a beret for my cat.)

I've already started another one of these, but even smaller, for some reason. I may keep it to use as a pincushion. I'm going to need some more and crocheting-in-general help before I can move on to other patterns, I think. This one was pretty easy, it didn't involve any particularly complicated techniques (e.g. stitches I haven't learned yet...) or a ton of sewing.

I'm just happy to have finished it at all. Apparently, abandoned projects are in my blood. We're cleaning out my grandmother's house and wow, did she start things and then not finish them. If I wanted to learn to knit baby sweaters, or make 70s dresses in polyester prints, for example, I'd have dozens lot of already-begun examples to work with. (How did anyone ever wear all that polyester? How did I ever wear polyester? I was crazy about my mom's handmade vintage shirts when I was in ninth grade.)

For now, though, I feel much more interested in making [cute] objects than clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment