Friday, December 17, 2010

Aaaand Done!



My first Finished Object Friday!  (And being able to post this penguin today is totally what spurred me on to actually finish up his hat and not just dawdle over it through the weekend.)  Thanks so much to all of you for the sweet comments and input about the penguin on Wednesday.  I ended up going with the softer-coloured eye circles, because---as Mutant Supermodel pointed out, the softer colours made the eyes pop less and toned down the owlish look.  I thought this guy might want to be photographed near some snow, so I took him outside for this shot.  Much to my chagrin, there's still some snow on the ground/tables/etc. from earlier this week. 

In  my excitement to finish this penguin, I did make one huge and stupid (but not visible, at least) mistake---I was doing the final rounds of stitches, fastening off the yarn and weaving in the ends, all jaksld;f  oh my gosh, look how big and cute this is, I can't believe I made it...and right next to me were the washers to secure the safety eyes in place.  Yikes.  Luckily, the eyes themselves have pretty thick stems that are wedged into the crocheting pretty tightly and this isn't a gift for a kid, so I think it will be okay. 

I got to learn the loop stitch this morning to do the cute trim on his hat, and it was so neat to feel my brain and hands getting the sense memory of a new technique---at first I was confused and fumbly, but I gradually got into the rhythm of it.  (With some help from Stacey's loop stitch video.  I needed the 3-D representation for this one, which was interesting, since I managed to figure out front post/back post crochet from a 2-D diagram in a book a couple weeks ago.  My brain and what it will and won't interpret correctly is always a mystery.)

I crochet pretty tightly, so the penguin's hat can defy gravity, which I think is kind of awesome.  I named him "Unintentionally a Wizard Penguin" on Ravelry.  (Maybe his name is Harry?)  Now I want to make more wizard hats!  But first, a pony.  I'm really excited about this pony, guys.  More about that on Wednesday.

But before the pony (and before I get to catch up with everyone else's finished objects at Tami's Amis), errands!  I hate that the sun is almost setting even though it's quarter to four in the afternoon, but at least there's only another few days of shorter-days before the solstice and longer-days again.

12 comments:

  1. Okay, he was seriously cute before, but that hat just pretty much killed me. He's perfect in his penguin-ness! Great work, and yay for poinies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is very cute. I love the different colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. l already thought he was cute on Wednesday, I love the addition of the hat too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks great! Mutant Supermodel was right, the eye color makes him look more like a proper penguin. And I love his hat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally adorable! The hat enhances his cuteness even more. Love how all the colors work well together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I saw your update and thought, "Oh, I sure hope she posts this to Fibers on Friday"...and here it is!

    Absolutely adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that ever a CUTE penguin! The hat just totally makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the hat is perfect. Yep, his name should be Harry

    ReplyDelete
  9. super cute - and I'm glad he's not too owly, I think I've seen enough owls :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous penguin, and I love his hat

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's lovely - his hat's amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hat is soo cute like that! I crochet crazy tight too, to the point where my amigurumis feel more like sculptures than stuffed animals. LOL

    Isn't it great to learn something new? I had just the feeling learning to knit.

    ReplyDelete