Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Penguin-ing Along.

I'm so happy about this penguin, even if the non-penguin colours make him look...well, non-penguiny.  (He could also be an owl, I think, which is fine, because owls are also fantastic.)  His feet and wings are sewn on, but the rest of him is held together with pins for photographing purposes, and actually, you guys can help me make him a finished object, because I can't choose which colour to use for his eye circles.


The one on the left is a sort of purple/seafoam variegated yarn, while the one on the right is more soft blues/browns/greens.  I'm sort of tending toward the one on the right, but I'd love some second (and third, etc.) opinions.  Once I pick a colour, I can sew everything together and make his hat.

This penguin is the biggest amigurumi project I've attempted yet, and I've loved working on it so far.  (The best part was pinning him together for the photo and watching the various pieces that have been lying around my room turn into something cute.)  I was afraid that making something big would make me wrist-sore and bored, but I was happily wrong.  Which is good, because now I'm thinking of trying to tackle the Perfect Pony in time for Christmas.


I started a hat for myself, too.  This is a really popular pattern on Ravelry, and it's just as quick and fun to work as all the project descriptions led me to believe. 

Although I think it may look better on my model than it does on me.  (This was one of those skeins of yarn that looked amazing in the store, but now that it's in my house, I'm not so sure about the colour.)  Anyway, this is almost finished, I just need to choose a good colour for the last few rows (I'm waffling between deep teal and heather grey).

(Check out more WIP Wednesday posts at Tami's Amis!)

13 comments:

  1. Cute penguin... I like the purple :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bird :) The purple one POPS which would be great on an owl for sure because owl eyes POP at you. The other one is more subtle and thefere perhaps more suitable for a penguin. BTW I love that hat! Seriously, I just added it to my queue. I don't know why I hadn't come across it yet but I'm really glad I did. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with mutantsupermodel. If you want it to be an owl, go with the purple. If you want it to be a penguin, go with the other one. It looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My youngest dd wants your penguin. She thinks its really cute. Nice hat too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your penguin is adorable. The hat is also very nice. I think the bear likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the purple, but think he'll be knock-you-down cute either way. Looking forward to seeing what you choose -- for the penguin AND the hat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I'm with you, I like both colors for the eyes, but would lean more toward the one on the right. So nice of the panda to model the hat for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teal for that hat....I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable penguin! I lean toward the one on the right, but I think either one looks very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your penguin is adorable. I am leaning towards the one on the right for the eyes. Love your beret, too. The gray against that color would be subtle and pretty, but the teal would be vibrant and fun. So either one would work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. cuuuute penguin! the hat is a lovely green. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow he is seriously awesome and very cute hat too x

    ReplyDelete