Friday, January 21, 2011

Meanwhile, at the Hat Factory...

This week's crop of teeny hats for Caps for Good.  I've been playing with stripes and bobbles (the two variegated hats in the center row have little popcorn-bobbles on them, which didn't really photograph here) and some front-post stitches for a couple rows of ribbing (on the orange hat in the lower left), but I think I'm going to consult Ravelry for some new patterns soon.  I need to get better at following patterns and having the patience to work through them even if I have to turn off the TV or my music to do it.

But a much more exciting FO...


All of the amazing hand-dyeing that's been popping up on WIP Wednesdays and FO Fridays got me inspired.  I don't have any white/off-white wool in the house, but I do have some Paton's Classic Wool in lemongrass, which I figured would be light enough to overdye with interesting results.  The bright yellow-green-ness of the yarn limited my colour choices, though---it was basically "try to make it greener" or "add some blue," so I went with blue.

I had some Wilton's icing dye in just sitting temptingly in the cupboard, so I did some googling and went with the process outlined at this tutorial, except I decided to live on the edge and skip the thermometer part.  What I really wanted was something variegated, but I decided to stick to basics the first time around, and settled for just not trying to get the dye into the yarn evenly, which sort of worked and created some slight variations in colour.



Hand-dyeing is just as much fun as you all have been making it look!  I was ridiculously excited when the dye actually exhausted and instead of a murky pot of blue water with some dubious yarn, I had a little hank of kelly green yarn and clear water!

And the obligatory "before and after" shot...


I can see this becoming a dangerously addictive hobby.  And I was planning on buying some off-white wool for an upcoming project anyway...

Check out other people's projects at FO Fridays and Fibers on Friday!

15 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I have been tempted recently with all the same posts you've been reading. The ridiculous thing is I have a dyeing kit with two skeins of sock wool to try it out. I've had it since the Summer and I still haven't tried it. Though to be honest I probably won't do it until I can dry the yarn in the garden, as I have no where else to hang drippy dyed yarn. Yours turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the green hue you ended up with is gorgeous. You should definitely try other colors too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean, the WIP/FO blog listings are just adding to my "what to try next" queue -- I'm sure this is where my urge to learn how to quilt came from this winter. Your yarn is much prettier in green than in lemongrass! You will be surprised sometimes by dyeing ("Wow, how did that happen?") but the surprises are usually nice ones, and if they aren't, just dye, dye again :-) It also means that you can get some great yarn deals by buying wool in colors no one else wanted, knowing that you will make them beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, fun! My dye studio is almost set up, just need a couple more supplies. Fantastic fun, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY for dyeing yarn!!! I'm so excited! The yarn turned out beautiful! Don't you love it!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your caps are so cute. Thanks for the link, I will have to add it to my list "stashbusting for charity" list. Love, love, love your dyed yarn! I think you often get the most interesting results from overdyeing. It is addictive, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hats are so cheerful!

    Gosh, I have got to overdye my less fortuitous yarn purchases. Good for you for being so productive! Hooray!

    (clicked on Post too soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great hats and congrats on the dyeing- it is a lot of fun, but a bit of a rabbit hole!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun! tempting....tempting...why are there so many possibilities with yarn?! Keeps our lists growing and growing....never dull, never static, that's for sure! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those hats are so cute! And great for using up stash yarn. I love the color that you achieved with the hand dyeing. You can never have enough pretty green yarn. Thanks for the link on the tutorial. I might have to jump on the bandwagon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been tempted with all the dyeing posts too! Gorgeous hats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your tiny hat collection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it fun to make your own colors? And much easier than I imagined.

    ReplyDelete