Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Some Lazy Wednesday WIPs.

I'm still in one of those moods where I just keep starting new things to see what will happen and end up ripping them out, which is always fun (with occasional hints of frustrating).  Said mood/mode of creating stuff doesn't really loan itself to a WIP Wednesday post, sadly.  I guess I could photograph all the skeins of yarn I've started and un-started things with?  

My hat is sort of coming along, though:

My decision to make it in black has slowed it down, since I'm up to the edging bit, and with black, I need to do it in daylight so it will be easier to see what I'm doing and get it as even as possible.

I also started an interesting rectangular motif in two reds and black that may become part of my planned skull-scarf.
...Or I may just end up frogging it.  It's a mystery!

In non-fiber WIPs, I rediscovered the joy of Artist Trading Cards the other day.  This is as good a place as any to explain my blog title, actually.  It's part of a lyric from an Ani DiFranco song that goes they say goldfish have no memory / I guess their lives are much like mine / and the little plastic castle is a surprise every time.  I've loved that since the moment I heard it in high school, and it actually describes part of the way my brain works---I'm pretty sure that I forget how much I like certain things (like painting or collaging or crocheting or all the shades of green that appear in springtime) on purpose so that I can be happily surprised by how wonderful they are all over again.

So the other day I decided to be surprised by the fun of making ATCs (which are little 2.5 x 3.5 inch pieces of art, it's such a fun and un-daunting size for a tiny project, even for someone who's mostly fine arts impaired, as I am), and joined some swaps on Swap-Bot, where I've been swapping stuff on and off for years now.  One of them is for a heart-themed card, so I had fun painting a piece of the newspaper (the legal notices and pets for sale/adoption section, haha) in a quick rainbow gradient, and I'm going to use a heart paper punch to cut lots of hearts and then glue them together in overlapping layers.  That's the plan, anyway.

(Go stop by WIP Wednesday at Tami's Amis to see what everyone else is working on!)

10 comments:

  1. The ATCs sound like they will be very cool! Awesome Ani lyric reference, too - I got to see her live when I was in high school, and it was a great show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get in those start and ripping moods every once in awhile.

    Those ATC's look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That skull thing, however it turns out, is going to be SO cool. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I do ATCs as well. I kindda took a break from them for awhile, but like you, I tend to rediscover my crafts :P I've never heard of Swap-bot before, but it looks like fun! I love swaps and am always looking for mooooorrrre!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reminding me of Ani DiFranco! I used to love her music but haven't listened to it in awhile. I love the skull, and look forward to seeing the finished scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think creativity involves a lot of ripping out and starting over....it's the fun of experimenting with new things. So embrace this mood that you're in! The ATCs sound so much fun. I'm going to share this with my two mixed media obsessed nieces. The skull scarf is a cool idea, hope you run with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Starting things to see if you want to continue them sounds more productive and more fun than starting things, disliking them, and forcing yourself to continue (or the opposite, letting them hibernate while you feel guilty about not finishing them). I haven't made ATCs but I do make Soul Collage cards sometimes (Seena Frost's method, soulcollage.com).

    PS - I know the song! I kept wondering why your blog description sounded so familiar :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love that lyric and what you say about forgetting things so that you're surprised how great they are next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ATC's look interesting. I am with ya on the starting and ripping. The first sweater I made may actually get ripped out and turned into something else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the idea of the ATCs! What a great idea.

    The skull looks awesome and I don't think you should frog it at all!

    ReplyDelete