Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Some WIP Attempts At Softening the Winter

First of all, thank you so much for all your sweet comments about The Pony. I think sometimes when you spend a lot of time alone with a Secret Project, it's easy to start doubting the wisdom of said project, and it makes me happy that you all liked the pony and the gesture behind it. :)


It doesn't look like it right now, but this is going to be a hat.  A cute little tiny-brimmed hat from this book.  I made one of these in October (which was my First Hat, actually) and it sold at a craft fair. This one is going to be for me.  In past years, I had the luxury of not wearing hats because they tend to look stupid on me, but I walk a lot and it's just too cold right now to be vain, so I need more hats.  This one is interestingly constructed---you make this nice brainless rectangle piece, which is all just neat rows of half-double crochet that I plan to do while I watch some TV tonight, and then join it into a hat-sized cylinder and work the top in the round and add the brim.

I don't even remember how, but I somehow discovered the wonder of Craftsanity podcasts the other day.  I listened to the most recent one, an interview with Anna of the adorable and amazing (adorabmazing?) Mochimochi Land, and I found the discussion that ensued about crafting weird, whimsical things really inspiring.  I was finishing off my market bag (I actually have FO's for this Friday already! This is very exciting.) as I listened, and a crocheted happy tree popped into my head.

One of the things I miss most about seasons-that-aren't-winter (uh, besides ever not being cold) is trees.  Not that the trees go anywhere for the winter, obviously, but I miss the colours and sounds and beautiful shadow-shapes created by their leaves.


I'm not sure about this yet, I think I'm going to frog the trunk and make it thinner, since right now it has a distinctly mushroom look.  It's so, so nice to just work on something freeform, though!  I've been following a lot of patterns lately, and I'm finding it really relaxing to just increase and decrease where I feel like it and not worry about lumps and bumps, because a tree's leaves are supposed to be unevenly distributed!  If I like this enough to sew together, I may make some little polymer clay beads to make it an apple tree. 



I'm really excited about this year being Year of the Rabbit, so I figured some bunny-making was in order.  So far...just this partial head and ears.  Held together (and given rudimentary eyes) with pins, so clearly, a voodoo bunny.  Other planned bunny projects: giant bunny ami from Cuddly Crochet, possibly some bunny slippers.


See what other people are up to for WIP Wednesday at Tami's Amis.

9 comments:

  1. Love the tree! I think you should keep the base of the tree that thick, and then make it thinner as it goes up, but not too thin or the top will be too heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you, you coined a word (adorabmazing) and you crocheted a tree. That's quite a day ;-).

    Loving your crochet! I wish mine was better and went beyond granny squares and flat things, must practice ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tree is adorable, and I must make a rabbit for Chinese New Year!! Cuuuute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your projects are adorabmazing! Winter has barely started and I'm already desperate for the grass and trees to get green again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I can crochet that well to freefom a tree! I agree with Tami about the trunk. Apples for fall or flowers for spring would look cute on it. Thanks for the tip on the pod-cast. I will be checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, I aspire to be as good at crochet as you are one day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think an apple tree would be so cute! And the pony, that was so cute! and so thoughtful of you :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never like wearing hats for the same reason, that and the resulting hat hair. I'm getting to an age where I'd rather be warm.

    Year of the Rabbit, hmmm. That maybe why Nippit keeps running up and nudging my leg.

    Very cute bunny.

    ReplyDelete