Friday, January 14, 2011

A Warm-and-Fuzzy FO Friday.

I feel silly for just having learned about the Caps for Good infant hat drive when the deadline is the end of February.  It's been running since September!  I could have made so many more hats!  I found out about this drive and got one of their "action kits" after I made my WIP Wednesday blog post, and have managed to whip up five hats since then, somehow. 

The pattern in the kit is so, so easy---all nice friendly double crochets, so it works up amazingly fast and the tall rows make it easy to know where you are in the process.  I made these while watching Dexter. (And have thus titled them "Slightly Murderous Baby Hats" on Ravelry.)

I also wanted to try a more complicated pattern, so I gave this one a try, because the ribs looked pretty and I haven't done a lot of front and back post crochet yet. 
This hat was a fantastic way to practice the technique, since it's so teeny (it was supposed to be in sport weight to be a preemie hat, but I did it in worsted so it's more regular-newborn sized.  And being modelled here by a handy stuffed cat, as I am [happily]  not in possession of a creepy baby doll to put it on.)  It was a great way to learn what the front and back post stitches actually look like from different angles, and get into the rhythm of using them.  The ribbed fabric it creates is really plush and warm, too.

I also wanted to do some preemie hats for SuddenExpression's preemie hat drive, which you can read about on her blog or on Ravelry, and I couldn't resist the cuteness of this bear-hat pattern
Making and attaching the ears was fun---it was almost like putting together an amigurumi, but less small and fiddly. 

Check out what other people are up to at FO Friday and Fibers on Friday!

16 comments:

  1. Love your hats! I've wanted to give hats a try for some time -- these cute hats inspire me to do it sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work on the hats, I know they will be appreciated by the recipients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little ears. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in love with that bear hat. Too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! Awesome work!

    Thank you for linking to Fibers on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those are adorable! I especially love the hat with ears!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your hats! Your ravelry title for your hats made me laugh. Fits perfectly for knits completed while watching Dexter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hats are wonderful! And for a great cause...so they are EXTRA wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to tell my husband that you were knitting baby hats while watching Dexter. he laughed hysterically. he loves what you're calling them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lovely and such a good cause! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the hats, and I'm very glad you don't have a creepy baby doll (shudder) to model then.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snork--the ears are hilarious! I love them! The ribbing is gorgeous too. That must be an "advanced" crochet stitch; I would never have guessed it for crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that practice hat.It is cute.

    ReplyDelete