Friday, February 18, 2011

Critters, Hats, and One Very Small Cauldron.

Presenting...bunny-mochi! (And one lucky tri-colour kitty-mochi, because I learned from autumngeisha that in the Vietnamese zodiac, this is the Year of the Cat rather than the Year of the Rabbit.)  Mochi are rice cakes, and they're usually sort of dome-shaped, so I decided to make some easy ami dome shapes and give them ears and tails and polymer clay eyes (which ended up a little too big and buggy, which is what happens when you make one piece for a project without the other pieces on hand to make sure the sizes will match...)



These mochi are having a party for the Lantern Festival, the end of the Lunar New Year festivities, so I made them some little paper lanterns and took them outside to party in front of the just-beginning-to-sprout daffodils. (Which are surrounded, sadly, by piles of dirty, icy snow, but it's melting slowly.  There's hope!)

And here's the last batch of baby hats, which are hopefully all getting tagged and boxed up and mailed tomorrow.



I also finally wove in the ends on my not-a-baby-hat.  If I make another one, I'll make the brim smaller, this is a little too baseball-hat-brim for me, which is what I get for finishing it at night when I couldn't really see what it looked like.


This was a tiny, silly project that went out to someone on Swap-Bot, a little cauldron pincushion.  I crocheted the pieces and wet felted them, and then needle felted on the coloured steam.  (Which was actually a happy accident---I was trying to needle felt some bubbles and ended up liking the wispy, steamy-looking reverse side of the piece better, so I sewed it into the cauldron wrong side up.)

...I finished more stuff this week than I thought!  I made a little Valentine's heart (from this awesome FreshStitches pattern) and an octopus from this pattern, which I've used and adapted a ton and love to pieces.  This little guy was auctioned off to benefit the Trevor Project and will be on his way to Australia soon.

Go see other people's Friday pretties at FO Friday and Fibers on Friday!

8 comments:

  1. I love all the projects especially the mini mochis! You've been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - lots of FOs! I quite like the size of the brim on the not-a-baby hat. I'm not normally one for baseball sized brims myself yet I think it looks good on this hat.The octopus is really sweet as well, clutching the heart! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you personify your little critters!

    Thanks for linking up to Fibers on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the mochi! They are so cute. That cauldron pin cushion is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bunny-mochi are hilariously cute!!! Love your photo shoot with the paper lanterns :)

    And Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You and your hook have been busy. Yay for happy accidents - your steamy cauldron is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are adorable--my kids would flip for those little critters!!

    ReplyDelete