Friday, February 25, 2011

Presenting Ms. Padma Primavera, a Perplexing Pachyderm.

Finished just this morning (and yay for the I have to finish this in time to post about it! effect of FO Fridays), here is my Padma the Spring-Bringing Elephant, no longer a sandcastle!  And with her accessories---a fake rose, crocheted by me, and some real tulips, provided by Trader Joe's.  She's made from this lovely pattern by Dawn Toussaint, whose patterns I've admired but hadn't tried yet.  I'll definitely be trying more in the future, because this one was so wonderful to make.  Well before this one was finished, I was already thinking ooh, what colour should the next one be?  (I'm not sure there really will be a next one unless I have someone specific in mind to make it for, but you get the point.)


The construction of this pattern was different than any ami I've done before, everything---the legs, the trunk, the ears---was attached with single crochets as the body was worked rather than being sewn together at the end.  Since my sewing skills aren't great, this resulted in an easier (and much neater-looking) finished product, which was happy-making.


So far, her spring-bringing powers are sort of working---it's well above freezing here today, and we got enough rain this morning to deplete the remaining piles of snow a lot, which is more than enough progress to make me want to go skip around the block singing a jaunty springtime song. 


A big part of what attracted me to this pattern (which I found just clicking around other people's favourites on Ravelry, total serendipity!) was the curled-up trunk, which I thought was the sweetest thing ever.  I'm not sure Ms. Padma is 100% finished, she may at some point acquire a felt patch or some beads or embroidery.  

Check out other people's finished (or just fiber-y) objects at Finished Object Friday and Fibers on Friday.

15 comments:

  1. She's adorable! I love the round shaping and you're right about how cute the trunk is, too. Lucky Ms. Padma to get fresh tulips, I am completely jealous about the tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, the elephant is so cute now that it's not a sandcastle (sorry if this double posted, internet problems... :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out great! The striping turned out perfect. I'm kind of glad you didn't have enough yarn to do him all in one color, because I really think the stripe gives him a lot of character. Your crocheted rose turned out great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this elephant. I must go fave this pattern. I hardly ever crochet anymore but this is too cute to ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the cutest elephants I have seen! I totally love the different colors and strips. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks lovely. I like patterns that are crocheted/knitted together because I hate sewing up and feel it is safer if you are giving the toys as gifts

    ReplyDelete
  7. so freaking cute! awesome vibrant colors, and i love the photo shoot as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That has to be one of the cutest amis I've ever seen!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No sign of a sandcastle anywhere. Absolutely adorable : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ms. Padma has a lot of personality! I love the added touch of the rose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's wonderful! I have to say though that to me, her stripe makes her look like an ele-bandit! :) xx

    (in a good way!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! I love the rolled up trunk, its a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's adorable! Such a great color combination for her.

    ReplyDelete