Wednesday, February 23, 2011

This Week's Accidental Theme: Green!

...Possibly brought on by my intense longing for spring.  First, here's my crocheted sandcastle!  ...Except that it's really an elephant-to-be, upside down.  I didn't mean for Ms. Sandcastlelephant to be striped, but I didn't think I'd have enough of the lime green, so I figured it was better to put in an intentional stripe in the middle than just...run out of lime green and have to put in another colour at a random place nearer to the end.  Hopefully this will be more elephantine on Friday, at which point I'll link to the pattern I'm using, which I'm really enjoying.  It's a different kind of construction than I've used for amis before, and so far, so good.

I bought this fun, soft chunky yarn (which is not at all the colour in this photo, maybe I'll manage to find some better light when these have acheived FO status) on sale a while ago, thinking of fingerless gloves.  Then I thought briefly of (and started) a cowl, based on a Ravelry pattern called "A Day at Hogsmeade cowl."  I decided against the cowl, but by then I was already in a Harry Potter mood, so I dubbed these the "I'm Failing Potions Fingerless Gloves."  (I would totally suck at Potions.  Professor Snape would scare me and I'm terrible at things that require precise measuring.)

A slightly better idea of what the yarn looks like.  I'm combining a pattern I found on Ravelry with the construction of some fingerless gloves I've made and liked before, and while the finger-bits are a bit wonky (and I have to get around to trying to fix them before it gets dark again...), I like them so far.  The chunky yarn works up so quickly, and they're really bulky and warm and kind of silly looking.  Whether I can manage to make the second one remotely symmetrical to the first promises to be a hilarious adventure.

Check out everyone else's projects-in-progress at WIP Wednesday at Tami's Amis!

15 comments:

  1. I love chunky yarns! Those colors go together ggreat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the closeup pic of your chunky yarn!

    Can't wait to see the elephant. I think he'll be adorable with stripes! You should strip his ears too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the elephant so far. I made one a few months ago, and I too was amazed by the way it was constructed. To me, the less seaming it has the better!

    I love love love the colors in that chunky yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing more of your elephant. The colours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm longing for spring too! Both projects are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for elephants! And those colors are perfect for fingerless gloves. They'll be great for chilly spring mornings - which must be just around the corner, right???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love elephants :D Can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colours in that chunky yarn. Maybe you should crochet a sandcastle next ; ) JK - can't wait to see the elephant right side up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy greens! The underside of Ms. Sandcastlelephant looks great. I love the colors of your chunky yarn and it looks terrific worked up as fingerless gloves. I can't wait for Spring either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your sandcastle...er...elephant-to-be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos! Can't wait to see the elephant and I love the potion's gloves. I would totally fail Snape's class too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You take beautiful photos. :) I'm excited to see your finished elephant. The stripes will be super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought you'd made some cute little crochet storage pots at first but the fact it's going to be a lime green elephant is even better! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent colors! I would fail the Potions class for the same reasons as you :-) I look forward to seeing the sand castle turn into an elephant -- now that sounds like real magic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems like a lot of the WIP Wednesday-ers are using green this week... and I love it! I'm excited to see the finished elephant. :)

    ReplyDelete