Friday, February 11, 2011

Year of the Rabbit, part I.

I was hoping to debut this guy for last week's FO Friday, being that Thursday marked the first day of the Year of the Rabbit, but he sadly wasn't finished.  Luckily, the Lunar New Year Festival goes on for a couple weeks, so I'm still technically on time.  (And I have more New Year projects that are just shy of finished, so hopefully they can squeak---or hop---in next week.)

This guy was a joint project.  I did the bunny-making, and my mom was nice enough to make him a festive kimono and obi.  (My sewing skills are basically nonexistant.  I have to work on that this year.) 

In a lot of Asian folklore, the shadows and shapes created by the moon's craters are seen as a rabbit in the moon, which I love.  (I adore bunnies, which is probably why I decided to semi-celebrate Lunar New Year this year, despite my complete lack of any Asian heritage whatsoever.)  In Japan, the moon-rabbit is pounding rice into flour to make rice cakes, so I equipped my lunar-bunny with a mortar and pestle for his photoshoot.

I wanted something a little bit realistic-rabbit-ish instead of just a bunny with a sphere for a head, so I used the basic head/ears proportions from this cute bunny pattern (that's a Ravelry link) as a starting point, but I did it in half-size since I like everything small.  The head took a few frog-and-restarts before I got it looking bunny-ish instead of too snouty and ratty.  The body and arms/feet are all just super-basic cylinder shapes.  It's been a while since I've done a semi-scultptural ami like this, and it was a lot of fun.  Especially since I managed to get him to sit up steadily with only a few dried pinto beans stuffed into the bottom of his body.  (I made his eyes out of polymer clay, and sometimes polymer clay bits can make these things really wobbly and top-heavy and hard to get balanced.)

The big bunny feet help with the steady balancing, too.

(Go see other people's awesome projects at Finished Object Friday and Fibers on Friday.)

14 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh. Seriously, that is over-the-top cute. I especially love his feet. And his whiskers. And his kimono... Well, you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! Your mom did a great job on his clothes too. I can't sew worth a darn either. I love his big bunny feet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute rabbit! Thanks for visiting my "First Crochet Hat" post on my blog. Just last night, I finished my first fingerless glove/wristlet and love it! Just getting easier and easier unlike 2.5 weeks ago when I started with just you tube videos. Ack! But when it clicks, it clicks! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How absolutely gorgeous. I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this rabbit and the feet are my favorite part! They turned out amazing! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looked like he was enjoying that photo shoot so much!! So adorable, I love him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO adorable! Very very cute little bunny :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that bunny. The Kimono is cute and she has that wedge shaped head and even whiskers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That came out great! (from someone who has pet house rabbits) Very bunny-looking! Love the attire too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your bunny! The kimono and obi just adds to the cuteness. I like the styling of the photo shoot with the mortar and pestle. Can't wait to see the other New Year's surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful and life-like! Great job on the photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete