Friday, March 11, 2011

Mitts and Tentacles and Bunnies, Oh My.

It was terrible to wake up to the news about the earthquake and tsunamis in Japan this morning.  I've poked around Etsy and Ravelry for relief stuff, but there's not much popping up just yet---if any of you hear of crafty relief efforts, please let me know.  I'm itchy to do something to help. 


The Failing Potions fingerless gloves---they may not look finished, but they're as finished as they're going to get, for a while.  I'm not sure about the finger-pieces yet.  I tried them in several different yarns to try and get them less bulky, but I'm still not quite happy with them.  (...But I also don't really want to buy any new, lighter-weight yarn for this, so.)

So they're going to remain asymmetrical for the time being, while I decide what to do---this way, my left (and non-dominant) hand will be warmer, but my right hand will have less bulk, to make chopping slugs (or garlic and ginger) and grinding beetles (or cumin) easier.  I really do need to reread the Harry Potter books soon.

One thing I love about Swap-Bot is that it gets me to make stuff I'd never make otherwise.  Like tentacow.

A distant relative of the tentacat in my blogger avatar, tentacow was created for a swap for which you send your partner a ridiculous item.  My partner collects plushie cows, thus, tentacow.  I'd never considered making an amigurumi cow before, so I did a quick google search to get an idea of what shapes were involved.

Here's the side and back view.  Tentacow is about...3.5 inches tall, maybe?  He sits in my palm perfectly.  It's going to be hard to box  him up and send him off to his new home.  (I think my next tentacle-thing will be an owl.  I'm not sure whether it should have both wings and tentacles, or just be---like tentacat and -cow---an owl head attached to some tentacles.)

This was made for a tiny-item bunny-themed swap.  I've never tried a bunting before, and this one doesn't exactly work right, because cheap felt doesn't have enough weight for the flags to hang correctly.  (This is photographed laid flat on a horizontal surface.)  It was fun to make, though, especially the bitty bunnies, who are about an inch long and made from this super-simple pattern.  I want to make a  whole army of them, but I'm going to try  not to unless I get some kind of amazing idea to utilize said bunny-army.

Go check out Fibers on Friday (which is where I found the bunny pattern above, actually), Finished Object Friday, and Fiber Arts Friday for more crafty goodness.

18 comments:

  1. I like the mitts even if they are a little different from each other. Sometimes you have to know when to stop or at least pause, right? Otherwise you end up buying more stuff, using some, and storing the rest which is why my craft area looks the way it does (sigh). Your tiny swap items are really clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather like the asymmetrical look.. it's fun! Also, Tentacow is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the mitts. I LOVE assymmetry, and I think you totally pull it off because the "hand" yarn is such a crazy variegated color. The green looks hip. The "sideways stitch" is really attractive too ... I may have to try this pattern.

    The bunny bunting is adorable too. I can't believe spring is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely fingerless and wonderful colour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All three projects are awesome. I like the bright green for the fingers, and the assymetry really works! The tentacow is hilarious and very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, Love the coloring of your gloves! I'm loving mine and making some for family members. They are perfect for keeping a bit warm but still being able to type and use your fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving tentacow!!!! I think she should multiply and go forth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE tentacow!

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tentacow is fantabulous!

    Cheers, and happy fiber Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the staging on that first photograph!

    I kind of like the asymmetrical look, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, both the mitts and Tentacow are absolutely ADORABLE.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fall Creek Fibers is donating 45% to Japan relief efforts.

    http://store.fallcreekfibers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like those mitts, especially being asymmetrical. The cow is just adorable too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the cow, especially the different color ears! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the asymmetrical hand warmers. The blue is great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the tiny bunnies! I really want to make a bunch of them and string them together for garland. I may just do it! I'm somewhat unnaturally obsessed with garland.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's the cutest tentacled cow I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete