Wednesday, March 16, 2011

One Part Sci-Fi, One Part Sushi.

Apologies for the quality (or lack thereof) of today's photos, rainy days defeat my camera and I every time.

I'm pattern-testing this week, which is really kind of exciting.  The above---which currently looks like a lovely and current-weather-appropriate raindrop sculpture---is going to be a rainbow rocketship, designed by Unforth and viewable as a finished product in a less ridiculous colour scheme over at her blog.

Next, it gets its fantastic fins. :)

I'm not always the most diligent direction-follower, I tend to take patterns as a suggestion and resize or change elements around or, uh, not pay terribly close attention to my exact stitch count as long as it looks okay...  So it's an interesting experience for me to be reading the pattern closely, following it more carefully, and considering how it might read/work to someone with less crocheting experience.  (This pattern is awesome so far, well-written and easy to follow and I love the way the shaping worked up.  It's both elegant and weirdly cuddly at the same time, somehow.)


The aerial view, just for fun.

And my currently on hold for pressing rocketship business project, this fish-and-sushi toy, which gets sewn together so that the fish can be tucked into the sushi roll or the sushi roll tucked into the fish.  (I got impatient with wondering if this process would actually work or not and gave it a test baste-together the other night and it was a success!  It wasn't easy to flip it back and forth, but it did work.  So now the fish just needs his fins and stuff and then it can be sewn together for real, after which point I may try to auction it off for earthquake/tsunami relief for Japan.) 

Check out what everyone else is up to at WIP Wednesday!

13 comments:

  1. Slow morning: I spent a good while trying to figure out what type of sushi the rainbow raindrop resembled before I finally gave up and scrolled down to the... sushi! Right then. Fun projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat projects! It is interesting reading about your experience pattern testing too. That is something I definitely want to do sometime. I think it would be a good learning experience. I just haven't been able to put my own projects from my queue aside long enough to sign up yet. Someday I will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yay, thanks so much for sharing! I've never gotten this kind of "in progress" from someone doing one of my tests. It looks SO AWESOME, I love the stripes!! I can't wait to see how your fins turn out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab projects!
    The project I linked to from my blog accepts crochet squares too if that interests you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are both very cute. (And how often do you hear something described as "elegant and weirdly cuddly at the same time"? I just love that combination of words.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cute! Can't wait to see the rainbow rocketship:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They both look great! I can't wait to see them when they are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. too cute! I love fun knitted projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love both projects. I have yet to do a test pattern, but can't wait until I get the chance! Your rocket is turning out so fun with all of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both project are so fun! I think the idea of a sushi auction for Japan would be very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the rainbow rocket! I'm the opposite when it comes to patterns. I think it may be my lack of confidence, but I follow each direction soooo carefully - it's maddening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How very cute!! I wish I could crochet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is WEIRD looking! Awesome! Rainbows are so fun in crochet. There's something more solid about them.

    ReplyDelete