Friday, March 4, 2011

This Week's Theme...Dead Things?


When I first got into amigurumi a couple years ago, I was drawn to this skeletal fish pattern in Elisabeth Doherty's Amigurumi! book, but I wasn't quite ready to follow said pattern yet.  I rediscovered this book in the library a couple weeks ago and decided it was time to make a dead fish.

Part of the reason I liked this pattern so much was how elegant the tail looks, with all of its almost-floral swirls.  Funny thing about my undertaking this project?  I hate fish.  Alive, dead, in a tank, on a plate...not a fan.  I was once at a deserted marina at night, and while the overall horror movie setting of it didn't give me a moment's pause, I screamed like a little girl when I almost stepped on a fish carcass.  Gross

The other element of this pattern that I loved (and that I love ten times more having actually made it) was the shape of the skeleton.  I decided to do mine in wool and felt it, and I love the effect.  Here it is before and after felting.



This was my first time felting Fisherman's Wool (I bought a skein with the vague intentions of dyeing it at some point), and it felted wonderfully.  I'm already planning some other projects with it. 

Meet Zombie Panda, who will be heading out to someone on Swap-Bot who likes both zombies and pandas.  He's only about...three inches or so tall, so he was a super-quick little project, and so much fun to make.  I stitched on his face/random gore spots while watching a random rerun of Ghost Whisperer, which seemed nicely appropriate.

Here, Zombie Panda can be seen stalking his prey, Can of Bamboo Shoots.


And here, he has felled it and approaches to feed!  Good hunting, Zombie Panda!

Check out other people's projects---dead, undead, or otherwise---at Fibers on Friday and Finished Object Friday!

15 comments:

  1. Very clever work. Both projects made me laugh! Your swap partner will be thrilled with Zombie Panda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think felting the spine was a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! That skeletal fish is great and funny and so well done! - especially on the plate!
    Thank you for your visit and comment! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fishbones ... and I tought amigurumi sushi was bizarre! Love Zombie Panda though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute, even if they are dead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fisherman's Wool to make the fish skeleton???...brilliant! May have to make some for my hubby

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fish skeleton. Love it. So bizarre and beautiful and weird and freaky. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love both zombie and skeleton! Great choice on the felting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fish skeleton is so cool! It weirdly reminds me of my mom's delicious seafood soup. And Zombie Panda is too cute! Gotta love a panda that loves bamboo shoots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Both awesome and interestingly gory projects! The construction of the fish does look interesting. I think you were right in felting it, it looks great that way! Love the panda too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fish looks fantastic and your hunting panda made me laugh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay--these are two totally creative ideas. Love the fish, and it is cracking me up that you don't even like fish. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete