Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Dragons, Tentacles, Tesseracts, and a Mystery.

I have a thousand almost-finished things floating around in my room, just waiting for final sewing-together or embellishments, but I couldn't resist starting this dragon pattern anyway.  So far I'm kind of in love with it, and I foresee more dragons in my future.  (I can't wait to make weirdly coloured ones! I thought I'd start with a traditional dark green, though.)  You can't see it too well in this shot, but the shaping on the neck/head is working up really beautifully.  I took this photo this morning, having grand plans of crocheting al fresco while sipping some free I Love Lemon tea that I snagged from the bank (I think the dragon wanted a sip!), but it was too windy and chilly-damp to do more than a couple rows.

I also have no less than three tentacled-things on the hooks---a regular octopus, who's just got to have his ends woven in, a tentacle-cat who needs eyes and whiskers and a nose, and an octopus crocheted out of plarn ("yarn" made from plastic bags, blue ones, in this case), which is going to take a while because plarn is hard on the hands!  All of these have homes to go to when they're woven-in and appliqued and finished, which is nice.

In non-yarn crafting,  I'm starting a little bitty sewing project that I'm excited about---a Wrinkle in Time themed bookmark, to send to someone on Swap-Bot.  I'm going to recreate the memorable diagram in the book in which an ant walks on a folded piece of cloth  to illustrate travelling by tesseract.  I backed some scrap fabric with fusible interfacing so it won't fray and painted a little ant on, and while I wait for that to dry I'm going to peruse some embroidery tutorials online to see about what kind of stars, etc., I might be able to embroider on the black felt I'm using for the body of the bookmark.  (My prediction is that I'll just end up with asterisk-stars created by making a few intersecting straight lines.  I'm trying to be realistic about the limits of my embroidery skills!)

And here's a slightly mysterious preview of something I'm really excited to share with you all come Finished Object Friday.
 
Go see what other people are up to at WIP Wednesday!

12 comments:

  1. Your little green octopus is ridiculously cute! That's it, I'm jumping on the amigurumi bus and will attempt to have something for FO Friday. I can't wait to see what you have. I'm thinking something fishy but I'm probably wrong. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A dragon? WOW!! That is all i have to say, just WOW :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of the dragon -- it really does look like it's climbing into your cup!

    And also, that octopus is SO CUTE!! Did that come from a pattern?
    I'll definitely have to come back on Friday. I'm curious to see what that last photo is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand it, it's start itis I think. I suffer from it from it too. lol My frogging was only the one item...the blue....but still this is the 3rd go round. If it works great, if not it's going down in the bottom of the yarn basket and will be picked up again later.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the octopuses! Where did you get the pattern for them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your octopus. I'm interested to see how your embroidery project turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are amazing, Kathleen! Wow. (aka thehappyhoneybee)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the dragon - my 3 year old (well she's 3 on Saturday) adores dragons and if I had time I would have done one too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the octopus is the winner - such beadily expressive eys :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the octopus like everyone else. I can't wait to see the dragon take shape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That dragon is very cool. Can't wait to see what the FO is!

    ReplyDelete