Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Don't Panic! (Even if you've started way to many projects...)


No time for a lot of talking today, the weather's gorgeous and I have a date with (a) my freshly-dried laundry that needs to come off the line, and (b) a hammock, a towel, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  I've been a fan of the books since a friend introduced me to them in middle school, and this is the first year I've remembered to celebrate Towel Day!

Off the hooks, but not assembled yet, some mysterious, not-my-usual-octopus tentacles...

I appear to be making a small, very simple shawl, which is slightly baffling as I don't think I'm a natural shawl-wearer.  I blame all of you with your amazing WIP/FO shawls, and my mom for randomly presenting me with the pattern.  To celebrate my bafflement about this enjoyable-to-make but dubiously useful object, I photographed it draped over a small watermelon. 

A small, extinct arthropod, freshly (and lightly---read as "my hands were tired") felted and drying on a sunny rock.  I just hope a bird doesn't come and carry him away to use for its nest.
Nestled amidst the frozen cherries (I can't wait until there are fresh cherries in the supermarket...), a previously-used-for-chick-peas can, which I'm hopefully going to make into a luminaria later.  Apparently you're supposed to fill them with water and freeze them so that when you punch the holes, the ice will keep the can from denting.  I'm thinking it's just going to create ice shrapnel, but I'm ready (and hoping) to be wrong.

Check out other people's projects at WIP Wednesday!

8 comments:

  1. You may think shawls won't be useful, but just wait until you own one. You will understand why they are so great. They hug you and look beautiful. They are decorative thrown on the back of sofas. They can be easily scrunched into a bag for later when it gets cool and used folded as a cushion! They are versatile in their wearing style and can be easily adjusted to change your temperature to suit. The question will become not "when will I wear it?" it will be "why did I not wear these before".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to knit a Hitchhiker shawl next :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Towel Day!

    As usual I'm thoroughly curious about the tentacled creature. And tickled pink to see the trilobite!! Maybe ours can be friends. ;)

    Good luck with the luminaria -- may there be no ice-related injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, let me just say that I'm not a shawl-wearer either but because of all of our lovely ladies who participate in WIPW and FO Friday, my queue is full of them. I want to make one so bad, though I have fear that it will just sit once it's finished. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Yours is beautiful. I think it would look great with a pair of dark geans.

    You MUST post how the lantern goes. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual, it is always fun to see what you're up to. Love the watermelon cover/shawl 'cause a watermelon can get cold, too. Happy Towel Day and make sure to wear goggles when you punch the decorative holes in that can. Can't wait to see the finished luminaria (love that word!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The luminaria looks very cool, can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Partner loves Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy.

    I have a bunch of shawls, I'll wear once in a great while. They are great to decorate the back of my rocking chair.

    Looking forward to seeing your luminaria. Making a mental note about this. It will be great to decorate my stone planter around my patio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought I was a shawl knitter/shawl wearer either, but I'm now addicted. They work perfectly well as scarves and they give you great knitting opportunities to follow beautiful patterns without much finishing work!

    ReplyDelete