Friday, May 27, 2011

Sprout, Scotty, and a Preschool-esque Luminaria.

Meet Sprout the Squid, my not-an-octopus tentacle project for this week.  The pattern is available here on Craftster, and I knew I had to make him the second I saw the picture.  Much more sewing involved than one of the octopuses, but worth the effort for his sheer cuteness. 

I was thinking of adding sparkly pom-poms to the ends of his tentacles, for extra springtime celebratori-ness.  I still might.

Obligatory weird close-up.  I love this cartoony eye style on a cephalopod.  Weirdly enough, it was initially inspired by that Simpsons episode where the Mr. Sparkle logo is Homer's Japanese advertising doppelganger.
And here's Scotty the trilobite, who I feel semi-confident in saying is the world's only felted trilobite named after American  Idol contestant Scotty McCreery.  (He is so dubbed because I crocheted him while half-watching the finale of Idol.)  The lovely Contessa pointed me to this pattern, which I inverted a little---the body rib was supposed to be created with two front-post double crochets, but after several attempts, I decided to try a single back-post double crochet instead.  Success!  Scotty is just phase one in a bigger trilobite project that should be rolling out over the next couple weeks.

I'm so glad that I wasn't the only one who thought this luminaria idea was awesome.  And I can now vouch for the fact that the process works, and does not create dangerous ice shrapnel!  However.  I uh, may have gotten so excited about the ice part that I didn't think too hard about the actual pattern part, so my luminaria, rather than being emblazoned with elegant leaves or something, is just a hodgepodge of holes that we can pretend was supposed to be an abstract constellationscape all along

Next time, I'll draw the pattern onto the can before freezing it, duh.  It will have to be a simple pattern, though, because trying to punch the holes before the ice in the can breaks and melts is a race against the clock!  (But a fun one.  The nail punched through more easily than I thought it would, and with a little practice you can control the way you hit it and create differently sized holes!)  Another tip:  while the tutorial is all just wrap the can in a towel so it doesn't move as you work!, what works better is a second person to hold the can still for you. 

Before you go make one of your own (and link me to pictures if you do, I love the idea of lots of WIP Wednesday/FO Friday can-luminarias in the world!), go check out other people's projects at FO Friday and Fibers on Friday.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful fibre projects but I'm loving the luminaria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, can I just say your trilobite is infinitely cuter than the one in the original pattern?? (Don't tell the pattern designer I said that.) I swear I'm not biased because you linked to me. ;) Also really curious as to what the larger-scale trilobite project could be!

    Sprout is super cute and I can see how Mr. Sparkle was its inspiration. How were its eyes done? Is that felt?

    The nighttime luminaria photo is really cool. It sounds like you'll be doing more? I look forward to seeing what kinds of designs you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy smokes, I love both Sprout AND Scotty! I may have to make them myself. Too cute. And yes, Mr. Sparkle episode of the Simpsons is one of my all time favs!

    I can't believe how awesome your luminaria is! I want one! Okay, I may have a project for this weekend. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them both! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both Sprout and Scotty are adorable! I really love how Sprout's eyes turned out though. And the Luminaria is really pretty even if it doesn't have a 'pattern' :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sprout is beyond adorable - I need to make one of those! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything!!! And thank you for info on the Luminaria! I've been wanting to do one but was worried about ice shrapnel too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sprout is adorable!!! Great job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your squid is amazing! I love it, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm totally in love with your squid - the eye is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AWESOME! Love the Mr. Sparkle inspiration, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your sea creatures! Thanks for sharing the luminaria too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the squid, and AWESOME trilobite! i'm sooo going to make that! thank you for pointing out the link!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun! Fun! Fun! As usual from you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sprout is so cool! Love the great closeup shots of him, too. The luminaria turned out great.

    ReplyDelete