Wednesday, May 4, 2011

WIP Wednesday - May the Fourth Be With You.

The dragon (I like to think that since this is a dragon-in-progress, I can refer to it as a DIP) is dragon-ing along.  It looked like a very strange hand grenade for a while, but then the tail began to take shape and all was well.  Still loving the pattern a lot.  The row of spikes (that would be the multicoloured blob behind the dragon body) were so much fun to work for some reason.  Sadly, I'm up to the legs, which are going to be less fun.

I have a convenient excuse to stall a little on the dragon legs, though, because first I have to finish some mushrooms for Mother's Day.  I took said mushrooms on a walk to the bay because they need to be weighted so they'll stand, and I figured hey, free rocks!  So now I have to experiment with combinations of rocks and polyfill until they're freestanding, which should be interesting.  I'm also hoping to play around with surface crochet to give the red mushroom some spots.  This tutorial looks promising.

I'm also doing another pattern test, this time for a multi-stranded headband that has interchangeable flower and bow add-ons.  I thought I'd just work up the bow to make sure it worked, photograph it, and frog it, but once I'd actually crocheted it up and put it together, its true adorableness won me over, which was a fun surprise.  I'm hoping to get this finished and photographed and report back to the pattern writer with my suggestions tomorrow. 

My favourite WIP at the moment, though, is spring.  Which is admittedly a WIP on a much larger scale than an amigurumi dragon, and I can't take any credit for its amazingness, but I'm so happy to watch it unfold.  Every day I wake up and there's more green around---the grass is coming back to life, the maple trees are putting out their first fragile and almost-dayglo leaves.  It's still been generally chilly here, but just having some colour back outside the windows is too wonderful for words.

Go see other people's springtime (or autumn, depending on the hemisphere) projects over at WIP Wednesday.

And I just remembered that today (with its "May the fourth..." pun) is Star Wars Day!  I may have to whip up a tiny crocheted Yoda to celebrate.  I was crrrrazy about Star Wars in middle school.  That was when they re-released the original trilogy in theatres in the "special edition" versions, and my mom took me to see them and I was in love.  With the whole universe of the movies, and uh, also with Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker,  I'll admit.

13 comments:

  1. The dragon looks so cute! On the few amigurumi projects I've done so far, I think my legs were my least favorite part -- happily my current project doesn't involve legs (just horribly obnoxious tight knitting).

    Anyway, I'll admit my favorite part of your post is hearing about spring. We don't have much change to our seasons (it goes from pleasant outside and sometimes rainy to HOT and miserable around now). The photo is lovely and it was great to read your description of how things are coming back to life. I'll live vicariously through you for a little bit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, CRAZY cute dragon! Hurry up and finish him, please? So we can all wallow in his cuteness. Meanwhile, I'm right there with you on Spring. Loving it. And, I can tell it's Spring in CO because it snowed yesterday and today it's 70 and sunny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see that dragon!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dragon is going to be so awesome when finished :D And I'm with you on the Spring WIP, It seems to be a bit shy over here, it comes for a few days, then disappears, then peaks out again, hopefully it'll stick around this time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dragon is coming along nicely! I can't wait to see him completed.
    Spring is my favorite WIP too. I can't wait until we get to the warm and sunny part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fingers crossed the warm weather appears soon. The dragon looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how the dragon is turning out, and I can't wait to see how the yoda turns out too! (I was all about Star Wars when I was in Highschool - movies, books, you name it, I was crazy about it! :D )

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dragon is soooo cute!!!! Can't wait to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blogging is great -- where else can you tell people you went to the beach to collect stones for your mushrooms and not have a single "huh" response? The dragon is going to be adorable, and so are the mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the crocheted Yoda! I may have to make one of those! I am amazed too at how quickly Spring pops, one day barely there buds on the trees and a day or two later, POP ... leaves! Can't wait to see your dragon, I saved the pattern you linked to previously. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful picture! Brilliant idea to use rocks to make the mushrooms sit up tall!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh, a dragon - that's so cool!

    ReplyDelete