Wednesday, June 8, 2011

In Which I Am Semi-Defeated by a Small Sweater.

So I picked up this cute little toddler sweater at a yard sale, thinking that I liked the stripey colours and it would be a good candidate for a first Reclaimed Yarn project.  I'll unravel the sweater and crochet something cool, like a striped owl, I thought.

Suuuuure you will, cooed the sweater evilly. 

Having never unravelled a sweater before, I didn't think to look at the seams until I consulted a tutorial about how to unravel a sweater...

...and alas.  The sweater is not, as I'd stupidly assumed, made from variegated yarn, but from a billion different coloured yarns tied together at the ends of the rows with knots.  :|  So now, instead of reclaimed yarn, I have...a small amount of cute striped cloth that happens to be in a sweater shape?  Which isn't useless, I might try to make a plush from the sleeves and maybe a little purse from the body.  But I wanted yarn.  Lesson re: buying sweaters to unravel before checking if they're unravel-able?  Learned.

In things-that-were-more-successful news, I tried needle felting a design onto commercially produced wool felt yesterday, and am kind of in love with the process.  It's almost like drawing, there's so much more control over colour and shape than with needle felting onto crochet, or onto the surface of another needle-felted pieceThe photo above is the back side of the piece (which is going to be a bookmark for a Swap-Bot swap) I made.  Once I figure out the best way to reinforce it, it can be on its way, and should be showing up right-side-visible on Friday.

In the way of more annoyingly-mysterious swap-related business, here's my Craftster-swap monster, held up by Annoying Sewing Bits.


...Same goes for this amigurumi.  I'm putting this photo up in hopes that it will spur me on to finish it for Friday.

And my food-in-progress, the sprouting adzuki beans.  I like how the leaves on the sprouts look like tiny mermaid tails.  I may declare this a finished object tonight and throw them in a salad and do another batch of lentils---these are pretty, but the lentils had a much better sprout-to-bean ratio and sprouted faster.  What I really want to try next is some alfalfa, the photo of alfalfa sprouts on the tutorial I used is so pretty.

As always, WIP Wednesday is awesome. :D  Go share in the awesomeness!

15 comments:

  1. What a shame about the sweater but it will look good felted and reclaimed into a purse. I've been meaning to sprout some beans they look great xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer about the sweater, man. It wouldn't have occurred to me either, so thanks for saving me from going down that road. See? Your suffering has saved someone else! Does that help at all? In other news, you have some seriously lucky swap partners -- needle felting is SO cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sweater is really cute, I'm sure you could come up with something creative to make with it. And yes, thanks for the tip - won't be making the same mistake (I hope!)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sarah. The sweater has great colors and could be reinvented into something cool. The backside of the bookmark looks neat. Can't wait to see the right side on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry about that sweater. I hope you can turn it into something great, regardless!
    As usual, the sprouts look fantastic. Seeing your foods-in-progress really make me want to try some, myself. . . (I think I've said this before.) What to the adzuki taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about the sweater, that really sucks. But at least the bookmark looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer about the sweater! I hope you can find some way to use it. I love the idea of needle felting onto felt. I may have to try it sometime. I can't wait to see the piece with the right side up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad about the sweater. I am starting to get interested in unraveling sweaters for yarn. I am sure I will go through similar trial and error.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG that's too bad that the sweater was made of different yarns, who'd a thunk??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the sweater. I tried felting some thrift store sweaters this week and only managed to get one of them to come out well. Live and learn, right? Your needle felting looks like it's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL I wondered what on earth those beans were. Are they even tasty ?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute sweater that was. I love bright cheery stripes. The key is variegated never has a full row of any color. Maybe you'll have better luck next time. One of these days, I might get myself to resale shop and explore the idea of doing that. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, can you imagine making that sweater with all of that color change!? I would have thought for sure it would have been striped yarn! I think it would make an awesome animal. A lady at my craft fair makes great plushies out of sweaters and sells them for TONS of money. They're amazing. The bookmark looks great, as does the sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with the sweater! And, I'm a big fan of lentil sprouts myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too bad about the sweater, but yummmmmmm those sprouts!!

    ReplyDelete