Friday, June 3, 2011

We were at the beach! Everybody had matching towels!

Meet Rock Lobster.  (I couldn't resist naming him after the insane song, which is also the source of the title for this post.)  He turned out a little differently than the pattern pictures, I think because when I sewed his legs on, I did this weird kind of...cinching thing that pulled the front half of the body up so he's looking upward.

I like it, I think it gives him personality.  (Personality that says I can't believe you photographed me in a colander!  I'm sorry, Rock Lobster.  I won't put you in any more cooking vessels.)  I also added the antennae, which I made by just crocheting a chain with two strands---the yarn I made him in (which is Caron Simply Soft Paints in Spring Brook, since venividivoom asked) and a strand of very fine wire so that the antennae would be shapeable.  This was my first crocheting-with-wire attempt, and for once I started a new technique with something simple enough that it worked out well and didn't make me all flustered.

And here's the bitty-shawl, a really easy little pattern from Caron.  I was happy that I hadn't lost all the treble-crochet mojo I built up doing that billion-rows-of-treble-crochet market bag back in December---my hands still remembered how to do it!  This was a good TV-crocheting project, since it was just a two-row repeat.  It may, in fact, be called the Televised Science Shawl, because it was made mostly while watching Bones and season three of Eureka.

I'm still not convinced that I'm a shawl-wearer (I'm also convinced maybe I should actually try to part my hair down the back with a comb if I'm going to wear it in two buns, yikes.), but it was a fun thing to make.  It may need some embellishing yet---my initial instinct was to adorn it with a felted skull and crossbones, since it's piratey colours, but then it wouldn't be washable anymore...

All of the fantastic Hitchhiker shawls I've been ogling on your blogs on Wednesdays and Fridays are making me look at this one and think but why hasn't it got POINTY EDGING, so maybe some googling about crochet edgings is in order.

Finally, meet Cherry the Haphazardly Dyed Trilobite.  I made her in off-white Fisherman's Wool, and then popped her in a little dye bath of Wilton's icing dye in brown (along with the teeny hank of yarn encircling her in the photo, because why waste a good dye bath?).  The brown was coming out too light and orange for me, so I added a little blue.  Too much blue, as it turned out, so I scrambled for the red, and sadly, some of it splashed directly onto Cherry's back half as I tipped it into the saucepan, hence her name.  (Her full name is Queen Anne's Cherry Cordial.)

You can see the silly colour unevenness better in this photo of Cherry drying on my laundry line.

See what other people have been finishing (or just working on) this week at FO Friday and Fibers on Friday. :)

18 comments:

  1. A woollen trilobite - what more could you want in life??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Straight partings are for the WEAK! I don't think I've ever managed to get one straight, and I wore my hair in pigtails daily for years.

    I'm not sure what the point of shawls is. I'm hoping I will get it fairly soon, cos I'm going to be making a few. I think perhaps I'm not a triangular shawl wearer, but circular shapes might be ok...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: trilobite and lobster: KILL THEM! KILL THEM WITH FIRE! =D Ok I guess the lobster is pretty cute (I have a few lobsters at my desk, haha) and Trilobites aren't as gross as long as you don't flip them over.

    I love the shawl. Treble crochets, eh? Will have to put that on my stashbuster list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lobster is amazing and you're right he does have personality!
    Also like your shawl, the colours work well together!
    And as for cherry the trilobite, what can I say!
    Great Fo friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair is adorable like that!!!!! Okay, now onto fiber goodness. I love the lobster. He has such personality. He looks like he's saying "Are you looking at ME?" LOL The shawl is awesome as well and I love the red and blue mixed. And yes, Cherry is also adorable and now I wish I could find a box of Cherry Cordials. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you see the blue lobster they caught on the news? Your little guy looks a lot like him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your hair like that too! Rock lobster and Cherry have a lot of personality, and I really like how the shawl looks on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lobster is cute, and I love the shawl, look patriotic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks SO good -- I can't choose a favorite between the lobster and the trilobite. Your photos are always such fun!! ♥

    I don't know if it should scare me or make me happy that I immediately knew the source of your post title. (80s child knows all 80s music, or very close to all of it.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The lobster is awesome!!! Love the colours you picked for it. Doesn't look cooked at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rock Lobster is a pretty cool dude. Love his confident pose. Your shawl turned out amazing! I love the colors and how it drapes. It looks much better on you than on the watermelon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute rock lobster (I love that song, and now I'm singing it in my head!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another entertaining post from the Fibers on Friday linky party! What a way to start my morning with a nice cup of coffee and a house full of kids! I love your creations! I also think your hair looks aDORable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh- Rock Lobster is the cutest thing ever!!! Love the shawl - so pretty!! Cherry the Haphazardly Dyed Trilobite is hysterical! Thanks for such a cute post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm wowed again by your FO's! I thought my hubby was the only person in the world who liked QA Cherry Cordials!! I have been wondering about the wear-ability of crochet too, but that shawl turned out wonderful enough that I might just give something like it a go for this fall. Great projects as always:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your creatures make me smile and I think the shawl looks great. I hope you find a comfy way to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love rock lobster! The antennae make him super cute! Nice shawl, I'm not a shawl wearer either, but I love to make them. I usually wear them like a scarf, so the point is in front and both edges come around to the front, try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG It's been AGES since I heard Rock Lobster! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Precious lobster, BTW.

    ReplyDelete