Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Weirdness and Whimsy, In Progress.


I'm happy that a few of you awesome people were intrigued by the idea of Goth Bunny.  Here she is, caught in an unfortunate state of amigurumi infancy where she resembles neither goth nor bunny.  I'm hoping to get her finished as part of CraftyClare's Toy Challenge Week.  I know that this is actually doable, the crocheting on this pattern is simple and fast, but the sewing always gets me...

And speaking of that, a project that I know is going to hibernate forever because of the sewing.  I watched Despicable Me the other night (I thought it was pretty adorable, and had some seriously cool-looking and clever graphic design/animation going on).  I will admit that half the reason I checked it out was because I'd seen some cool patterns for crocheted Minions, and I figured before I made one, I'd better see what these things actually were.  And while I thought the Minions were cute (although I know I would have appreciated them a lot more if I were still like, eight years old and thus in the movie's actual target demographic...) what really caught my imagination was the moment when Steve Carrell (who has some serious voiceover skills! A+!) uttered the phrase tiny robots disguised as cookies.

I'm not like, in love with robots, so I'm not sure why this grabbed me so hard, but basically the second I heard the words, I was reaching for my crochet hooks and my skein of Red Heart Super Saver in Buff.


So here are the cookie-robots-to-be in chocolate chip (please imagine that I've already appliqued the chips on) and Generic Sandwich Cookie flavours.  I made these up while I finished watching the movie, and now comes the part where they sit around for weeks while I debate the best and most interesting ways to make them robot-y.  I was kind of disappointed by the appearance of the actual cookie-robots in the movie.  I loved that they had segmented legs, but I was confused by the fact that they also had like...little metal cylinders topped with hats.  Mine are not going to have hats.


I made a post yesterday about my International Yarnbombing Day, but I am so not done yarnbombing.  This tea box is full of a yarnbomb that I'm kind of excited about, a nature-themed garland I'm planning to hang at a local wildlife refuge that I really love.  I don't know how best to assemble the pieces onto the garland, though, and I may have to make a trip there to measure before I do...


I'm also working on a mysterious (the recipient may be reading this! I must be stealthy!) little paper-piecing project that's turning out much better than I expected, which is always the best possible surprise.

And another WIP---buckwheat-onion rolls that I have to go punch down and prepare for their second rise right now.   Go see other people's stuff-in-progress over at WIP Wednesday while I do.

14 comments:

  1. Curse you, tiny toilet!!!

    I loved that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol at how our minds work sometimes - loving the cookie robot creation. Looking forward to seeing the bunny at the end of the week.

    Hope you enjoyed punching down (knocking back we've always said) - for some strange reason it is always very satisfying x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've been working on a lot this week! I can't wait to see how the goth bunny and cookie robots progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're making a goth bunny?! I'm in love already!!! =D I can't wait to see how she/he turns out. I'm slightly obsessed with the goth style :P

    I loooovvvvved Despicable Me! My favorite part was the little girl squealing about her unicorn "IT'S SO FLUFFY I COULD DIE!!!" hehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goth Bunny? Oh, I can't wait to see that when it's done!

    Y'know, Despicable Me wasn't quite what I was expecting, but I still loved the whole 'IT'S SO FLUFFY!' scene and anything that the minions did :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I can't wait to see the cookie robots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really have to see that movie, everyone who did loved it. Can't wait to see how you robotize your cookies there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that right-hand cookie looks like an Oreo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, that certainly makes a lot more sense than boogie robots! LOVE Despicable Me lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite things about WIP Wednesdays is seeing your posts. :)
    I'm looking forward to seeing that goth bunny come together -- and I agree, I hate sewing bits together. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that before to you.

    And those cookies look yummy, especially that Oreo-looking one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for reminding me I haven't seen Despicable Me yet. I so admire people who can make stuff up on the fly. I *always* need a pattern; I can't wait to see your cookie robots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tink beat me to the Tiny Toilet quote, but I'll add the absolute favorite line of Despicable Me according to my 9yo daughter: "It's so fluffy!"

    I cannot wait to see the cookie robots, that is pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to see all of these projects finished as they're going to be awesome! I'm going to go check out your yarn bombing post. I wanted to do some for the day, but didn't have time. I have the perfect place, so much do so soon.

    ReplyDelete