Friday, July 1, 2011

Bothersome and the Dumplings

...is not the name of my new ska band (although it probably should be, and I wish I could actually have a ska band).   Instead, it describes two thirds of this week's FOs.

First, here is Bothersome the Slumberless, so named because I made him beginning at like...five in the morning on Saturday, a truly stupid time to be awake, but if you have to be awake, why not make a monster, right?  He just hibernated for most of the week in pieces, but I pulled him together for today!.  I'm not a good sleeper to begin with, and for some reason on Saturday morning I woke up around 4 AM (to super-loud birds outside) and my brain just clicked on, I couldn't stop thinking about stuff I wanted to make.  The project that was really keeping me up was a pirate-themed stuffed bear---which I of course haven't actually started---but that wasn't plausible at the time, so I grabbed my hooks and yarn and began making Bothersome here.


He has googly hypno-bead eyes (the white bits are Model Magic that I molded directly into his eye sockets, and the yellow and black bits are plastic faceted and glass seed beads, respectively)...


And his maw is a teeny-tiny, inexpertly made pocket in which he'd be happy to hold a button or something for you.  Fond as I am of Bothersome, I'm a little wary of keeping him in my house, because I'm afraid he'll keep waking me up at odd hours on weekends (or any other time) and want me to make him friends or something.  More on that later.



First, on to the dumplings, another impossible-to-resist pattern by Trish of genuine mudpie, who is like, a veritable guru of tiny-cute crochet patterns.  I had to make a couple of these---they're so fast and the method for making them, which calls for just increasing every x stitches until the piece is a certain width, was novel to me, and it was fun and easy to not be counting rounds, too.  This is one of those dangerous patterns where you finish one and just want to keep making more...



Much like these trilobites.   This latest one is Chiffon (like lemon chiffon pie), and she's already in the mail!

I had the opportunity to visit the Lion Brand Store in Manhattan yesterday, and it is tiny and awesome and full of so much colour and tasty, tasty yarn.  They were having a knit-and-movie-watching night, and it made me so happy just to be observing it for a minute, seeing all these people with their laps full of printed-out patterns and yarns and circular needles, and listening to the lovely clicking-needles sound...I was wishing there wasn't a movie-night going on so that I could have told people I liked their colours and asked them questions! 

So in the spirit of sharing and how amazing fiber-crafting and all of you guys are, I am having a bitty giveaway---your choice of Bothersome the Slumberless (if you're feeling brave enough to chance his waking you up with craft ideas!), a dumpling (or possibly more than one dumpling...) or a trilobite!  Just leave a comment letting me know which you'd like if you win, and at uh, some point (my internet access is going to be spotty next week) a random number generator and I will pick a winner.

In non-fiber FO's, I took part in this June Photo-a-Day Challenge, and actually stuck to it!  So here's my June in pictures:

1. day one - hello, june. [self-portrait.], 2. day two - favourite shoes., 3. day three - hands., 4. day four - clouds., 5. day five - breakfast today., 6. day six - summer reading. [books], 7. day seven - high angle., 8. day eight - sunset., 9. 06.09.11 - day nine - fresh fruit., 10. day ten - animal., 11. day eleven - silhouette., 12. day twelve - sun flare., 13. day thirteen - something that reminds you of childhood., 14. day fourteen - someone you love., 15. day fifteen - action., 16. day sixteen - jar., 17. day seventeen - bokeh., 18. day eighteen - eyes., 19. day nineteen - summertime., 20. day twenty - water., 21. day twenty-one - macro., 22. day twenty-two - landscape., 23. day twenty-three - black and white., 24. day twenty-four - love., 25. day twenty-five - citrus., 26. day twenty-six - your favourite colour., 27. day twenty-seven: your weakness., 28. day twenty-eight - transportation., 29. day twenty-nine - trees., 30. day thirty - family.

For FOs with a less insane number of photos attached, head over to FO Friday!

14 comments:

  1. Bothersome the Slumberless is the coolest little guy ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "if you have to be awake, why not make a monster, right?" ... I love that!! All great stuff and especially love the photo project for the month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, your FOs and photos make me SO happy!

    The dumplings are too cute, more trilobite adoration, and I love Bothersome the Slumberless. (Shame about the "slumberless" part.) His eyes are absolutely AMAZING.

    I totally know what you mean about populations of favorite projects multiplying out of control. (I think that octopus thing was an indication.) ;) I've always been that way, though. I won a fish at the school fair, brought it home and told my parents it needed a friend.
    We bought the friend and the next day, school fair fish died. So the pet store fish needed a friend. It went downhill from there. Similar things happened with the bird I found (it was an escaped cockatiel whose original owners we couldn't locate) and the rats and rabbits and guinea pigs we owned. . . You get the point. ;)
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend, and Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your FO are all great! Bothersome The Slumberless is my favorite. I love his eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great monster and those little dumplings are the cutest thing! Your photo's always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I officially love Bothersome the Slumberless with his weird eyes and button eating tendencies. Did you use a specific pattern? Or just whip him up randomly?

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW - I love them all!! I can't decide which I like best! How fun they are!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dumplings are so cute! I might have to make a few of those...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bothersome is SO cute!!! I like that he will hold a button for you.

    The dumplings are also darling, but I will avoid making them, 'cause I can totally see myself making a metric ton of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Bothersome might just be the best ami I've ever seen. He's awesome! I want to fill my house with them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, this post is full of cute! I love love love Bothersome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. *squeal* bothersome holds a button!! he is awesome!! i first saw the trilobite on your blog and it's been on my to-make list - i've got to make one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the monster! Fab post title too, it does sound like a band ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those dumplings are so cute! Mmm, now I want to go to Chinatown for lunch!

    ReplyDelete