Friday, July 22, 2011

Finished Feathers, Etc,

Oh, the nudge-tastic powers of FO Friday, without which I would have left this little fluffball in pieces for weeks rather than dragging out my needle and thread.  Meet Tiffany the owl (and how excited was I that you guys knew she was an owl on Wednesday, when she was wingless and beakless? very!), so named because her feathery wings were done in Lion Brand Tiffany yarn, which sadly looks to be discontinued.  It was much easier to work with than other novelty yarns I've used (e.g. Fun Fur), it's really silky and just...slipped right along.  Of course, it helps when using any novelty yarn to do something really really small---these wings were about...sixteen stitches apiece, total.  So even if the yarn had been annoying, it wouldn't have been annoying for long.

Here are her side and back views.  When I sent stuff to craft fairs with my mom last fall/winter, both of us had made some amigurumi owls, and we couldn't keep them on the shelves table, so I'm hoping that will be true again this year.  And for once I'm thinking ahead and starting them now and not uh, the week and/or night before the craft fair(s).  So more owls of this type will be popping up.  I think the next one will be in more traditional owly browns.

I also made a couple random motifs from the ever-enticing Beyond the Square.


...I think there's something smudged on the upper left bit of the lens of the camera I used for these photos.  I should check on that.  I made these to hang around in some negative wallspace, but someday I'm going to do a project with actual joined motifs, I swear.



And here's the amigurumi puppy from last week, all nestled into the quilt (actually it's a "quillow"---a quilt that rolls/folds up into a pocket to become a pillow, one of my mom's go-to gift projects) he was made to match.  He has his own pocket on the front of the pillow-bit.  You can't see it very well in this shot, but he now also has a little fleece bone dangling from his mouth with some yarn.

Go check out out other projects on FO Friday and Fibers on Friday, which are awesome ways to enjoy pretty yarny projects without actually having to touch any yarn in the summer heat.  (Unless you're in the southern hemisphere where it's not summer, in which case I'd love to come visit you.)

17 comments:

  1. Love the owl, she is so cute. I think some in traditional colours, but MORE in the funky colours! Your motif's are stunning.

    Thanks for the lovely comments on my blog, I am in such awe of all of them. Really makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The owl is adorable, love the fluffy yarn wings! Making lots more, in a lot of colours, sounds like an excellent plan! Last week's puppy is so cute in his little pocket, and I love the bone dangling out of his mouth, it's perfect with the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your owl! I hate it when yarn that I like to use get discontinued. I've been running into that a lot lately. Your dog matches the fabric perfectly! Such a cute gift :) I really need to try some craft shows, but I haven't attempted one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm in love with that cute little owl! :) so stinkin' cute! i really love that star/flower motif. that thing is gorgeous! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    The owl is awesome! And the dog is so cute. Your square motifs are cute. I'll have to check out that book. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought
    http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2011/07/fibers-on-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiffany is adorable! The puppy looks so cute in the quillow, what a great gift.
    P.S. "Nudge-tastic powers" is a perfect description of FO Friday : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the owl - it's so so cute! My Little Miss would adore one of those!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your little furry creature is adorable. So unique, so interesting. Congrats on getting it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tiffany owl is amazing! Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tiffany is adorable! I love the eyelashes yarn for the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute owl! I really like the motifs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet owl, I think the bright colours are great

    ReplyDelete
  13. That owl is just too cute! I love her little feathers :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwww....how I've missed your projects!! Thanks for sharing these at Fibers on Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That owl is so RIDICULOUSLY cute!!!

    ReplyDelete