Friday, July 29, 2011

The Owl Formerly Known as "Rusty."


Who, thanks to a suggestion from Stephanni, is going to be called "Sunset" instead.  Which is especially fitting since I was rushing to finish him before sunset yesterday so he could get photographed, since I knew I wouldn't have time this morning.  And now it's raining, to boot, so for once my timing was actually good.

Stephanni also flattered me by asking if I had a pattern for these, so I may try to write one up, except I think it will be more of a...tutorial type thing, since these owls are made with the most basic-ever crocheted shapes and really come together through yarn choices and assembly.  So it's less about like...shaping and the number of stitches and stuff and more about the overall process.  Which is actually a good summation of how I look at making amigurumi overall, now that I'm typing that out.  I'm looking forward to trying to put this together, I've never done a how-to before.  

Anyway, here's Sunset's profile...

...and back view.  His wings were done in the also-discontinued Lion Fancy Fur yarn, which had alllll the annoyance-factor the Tiffany yarn lacked.  I actually trimmed the yarn on his wings a bit once he was all sewn together, the eyelashiness was sort of out of control!

And here he is hitching a ride in the pocket of my Laundry Dress, a dress I got in the little girls' clearance rack in Target almost solely because it had these great pockets, which are A+ for clothespin storage and thus higher efficiency while I'm hanging up or taking down wash.  Clearly, they can also store amigurumi, which is definitely going to come in handy.  I already have the next two owls planned, with names and colour schemes to give a nod to some of my TV-lovin' geekery.  And it's just occurred to me to maybe do a sort of gothy-vampirey owl in black and red...

Check out other people's Friday projects at FO Friday and Fibers on Friday!

20 comments:

  1. Love, love, love sunset! Great name! Your posts always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the name 'sunset' although, I like the name Rusty better as I feel its suits his 'rustic' appearance! I would love to have him at my desk at work to cheer me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. His wings are one of the best uses of fun fur I've seen! I'd be interested in the pattern, or "recipe" if you prefer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He came out amazing! He is soo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunset turned out great! I can't wait to see the others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh how i love it! and that you chose my name. :D omg vampirey owl sounds to-die-for, pun intended. ;) i can't wait to see the tutorial. how tall is it? wouldn't it be super cute to make a huge one as sort of a pillow/bed decoration! :) ok, i'll stop now. happy fof day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your tutorial sounds like a great idea - basic instructions with encouragement to make it your own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is ADORABLE!!!! Love your pictures of her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The name is so fitting. I'm so in love with him. I hope you do make a how-to so I can convince my friend who crochets to make me one. Shouldn't be too hard since she loves owls.

    Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is adorable! I really love the wings (I know I said that last week too, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooo? Hooo? Hoo loves it? ME!!! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's fantastic, love the wings, gives so much character!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did just a beautiful job on Sunset -- lots of texture and details, plus a great face. He's got personality!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute owl and I LOVE my surprise winnings!!! Now you can post them!!! YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i was thinking, when you left your last comment, how cute would it be to do a rag owl, like how you would a rag rug. that could work as bulky yarn & use a large hook. i just got me a p or q hook i can't wait to use to make a rag rug. :) let me know how the big owl works out. thanks again for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. He's so gorgeous - I love his feathery wings! xx

    ReplyDelete