Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Progress of Several Varieites.


So one of my WIPs this week is making a different kind of progress right now, as it's progressing through the mail to Sharon of witchyknits!  But here's a nebulous preview.


And here's the next owl-to-be, who will hopefully be finished (and not terribly different looking, I'm afraid, since these things are so simple) on Friday.  For now, he is dubbed "Rusty," which is really unoriginal and stupid and if any of you guys can think of a better name for him, I'd be thrilled to re-dub.  :D

It's interesting that while currently-Rusty and Tiffany are the same basic number of stitches and are both worked in Loops and Threads Impeccable ombres, the colour pooling is completely different.  Tiffany ended up with more blots and flecks of colour, where Rusty is coming out much more evenly striped.  ...It's a good thing I wasn't at all invested in these things being symmetrical, I guess!


I'm also pattern testing a slouchy hat pattern.  So far, so good, except for the part where the yarn I initially wanted to use was a nightmare to work with, so I just grabbed a random skein of Simply Soft (the yarn the pattern designer used for hers) in a colour that I'm not crazy about the idea of wearing, necessarily.

And a WIP (of sorts) which I'm anxious to get back to...Deborah Wiles' Each Little Bird That Sings.  I've been devouring Ms. Wiles' (wonderful, quirky, emotionally true) novels slowly since I read Countdown, which was a really innovative and sharp piece of historical fiction set during the Cuban Missile Crisis, and features both amazing graphic-art interludes and a great POV character and tone that sometimes reminded me of To Kill a Mockingbird or Mary Downing Hahn's Stepping on the Cracks, a book otherwise known as "the source of most of my knowledge re: life on the home front during World War II."

But enough book reviewing. Go see what everyone else is up to over at WIP Wednesday!

15 comments:

  1. OH another cute owl and not in the traditional colours! YEAH!!!

    I know what you mean about having certain colours that you like but don't wear. I hope though that you at least wear it once before deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rusty is sooo cute! Owls are so a la mode right now, I am really thinking of making one! Good luck with the slouchy hat! I am a big fan of them, keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that the owls have come out so differently, that makes them much more charming ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i so love the owl, how about sunset? rusty is cute though. :) do you have the pattern for the owl available or going to sell it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your owls are so pretty, and the recipient is one lucky person :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really neat to see how the same yarn works up differently on the same project.

    The slouchy hat looks like it'll be cute, even if you're not keen on wearing the color. Perhaps that's a gift-to-be for someone, instead? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rusty is adorable! Love the colors. That is a cute hat pattern that you are test knitting. Slouchy hats are so much fun to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rusty looks great! I like that they are both different!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you love when books/series' just pull you in!

    Rusty is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hat looks cute! I can't wait to see what the mystery WIPW is :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You hat looks good so far, I love slouchy knit hats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rusty is cute! I love how different the two owls are turning out to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, Rusty is so cute! Love his eyes. I really like the colour you're working with for the hat too, it looks nice and warm :)

    ReplyDelete