Wednesday, July 20, 2011

(Works In) Progress, At the Speed of Summerwarm Sloths.

I'm a little short on time today (so I'll be catching up with everyone else's amazing WIP Wednesday posts tomorrow, I guess), so I'll mostly let the pictures do the talking. 

Things in the works this Wednesday include:

A small sewing project... (Have any of you guys heard of Dotee dolls?  I've been intrigued by them for ages, and this will be my first one.)


A small crochet project which, sadly, has reached the point where it's now a sewing project...



And the latest installment of Tiniest Dye Lots Ever!  This little hank of yarn (about 17 yards worth) is going to be a surprise for Sharon of witchyknits4ewe, and she likes pink and purple, so I broke out the rose, Christmas Red, and purple Wilton dyes and a helpful tutorial about microwave dyeing and got to work. 

I wanted to do this yarn in the microwave rather than the stovetop saucepan-baths I've used previously because I wanted little blotches of colour, and I was afraid to muddy it.  So into the teeny tiny dye pots and the microwave it went for its two "zaps"...  (I love that the tutorial used the verb "zap.")

The colour spread out rather more than I wanted, which I probably should have guessed would happen, especially once I added some water to the pan because I was afraid of it getting burnt in the microwave.  So where I wanted a mostly-natural  yarn with blots of colour, I now have a mostly-sherbet yarn with blots of natural.  All part of the learning process.  That's what I'm telling myself, anyway.

And now it's hanging out to dry in the (too hot, gross, get it off me) summer sunshine.  It's going to be a little fussy to crochet with since the microwave fuzzed it up a bit, but I think it should be okay.  I'm so excited to see how it works up, I'm going to go and check and see if it's dry again even though it's only been like, ten minutes since the last time I checked and clearly, uh, a watched skein of yarn never dries. ;)

Next dyeing project: using Kool-Aid!  I bought some packets to try this months ago and haven't gotten around to it yet.

11 comments:

  1. I know the dyed yarn didn't turn out quite how you wanted, but I think it looks ace! Can't wait to see how it looks when you use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kool aid dyeing is lots of fun :) Love your little owl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the yarn, it's unique! The owl has to be the cutest ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dying yarn is so much fun, albeit unpredictable. The surprise is part of the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like fun! I'm curious about how Kool-Aid dying works for you. I've been thinking about dying up some little dyelots of my own for some Fiddlehead mitts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of the WIPs so far, and can't wait to see them finished. I tried my hand a dying a few years ago, but I could never get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are always working on the neatest projects! I have never heard of Dotee dolls before. I love the fabric and bead combinations that you chose. Dying looks like a lot of fun. That is a cool color way that you ended up with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of a dotee doll before. So, from what I gathered from that link, it's just a doll you make out of random scraps of fabric? That might be interesting to try (Lord knows I have enough fabric scraps in the house from all the sewing I do!)

    I love how the owl is turning out, and the yarn you died is pretty even if it didn't turn out the way you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the crochet! When I dye yarn I must check it every hour or so to see if its dry ... and it always takes at least a day, I don't know why I keep doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dotee doll is cute. Happy dying on this very, very hot day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little owl is too cute!

    Love the colours on your yarn too, they look very fresh

    ReplyDelete