Wednesday, August 31, 2011

How the Storm Stole My Mojo.

When it became clear that Hurricane Irene was really on her way (...we always hope that storms will just...shuffle out to sea before they get up here to New York), I envisioned all kinds of crafting-by-candlelight time.

And then, in a fit of bureaucratic ass-covering, I got evacuated, which was scary and stressful and a pain in the ass---thankfully---unnecessary, but also shut down the crafting part of my brain for the weekend. 

So in the end, I spent the storm (which was slowed waaaaay down by the time she got here, and I won the Power Line Lottery and never even lost electricity, let alone had anything sustain any damage besides "lots of annoying fallen leaves and branches") napping and cooking vegetable gumbo and watching Winter's Bone and reading Kelly Link's amazing collection of short stories Pretty Monsters (about which there will possibly be more to say later).  So all of the "here are my hurricane goodies!" items that I wanted to present to you...don't exactly exist. 

I do, of course, have an owl (...or three) on the skeins, but over the past two days I've been Distracted by Dishcloths.  (Or washcloths, in this case, but I couldn't resist the alliteration.)

I ended up making these in the most roundabout way possible---thanks to Ness of Bunnies and Bettas, I remembered the existence of the Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet House Cup on Ravelry, and got there just in time to sign up to be sorted for this upcoming term.  So uh, this is just fair warning that I guess WIP Wednesdays and FO Fridays for the next three months are going to be filled with projects prompted by said group.  The class assignments go live tomorrow and I'm so excited.  Especially since the group has already led me to make stuff I wouldn't have otherwise.

Through a bunch of random link-clicking in the House Cup forums, I discovered the For the Children of Pine Ridge group (also on Ravelry), which coordinates efforts to send knitted and crocheted items to the Lakota people on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota, and one of their August/September projects is making cotton washcloths for the elderly people on the reservation.

I love the idea of handmade dish/washcloths, but I don't live in a climate where they're practical.  It's really humid here, so anything as heavyweight as a cloth crocheted from worsted-weight cotton is going to turn into a mildew ball.  So I'm thrilled to have a good cause to make them for and a place to send them.  The lame, teasy photo above is because both of these are actually finished, just not off the skeins with woven ends yet.  But oh, more are on the way.  If any of you have a favourite crocheted dishcloth pattern, please share it with me!

Now go, and roll around in the yarny coolness that is WIP Wednesday!

17 comments:

  1. SO glad you're safe and sound and powered up. And full of crafting mojo! I really liked Winter's Bone so much more than I expected. Good flick. Looking forward to seeing your upcoming assignments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are safe and didn't sustain any damage from the storm! It's a bummer you had to evacuate, though. I look forward to see your Harry Potter projects and more dishcloths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you're safe -- and with relatively little cleanup to do!!!

    I've been evacuated twice over the last many years (due to fires) and even when I genuinely believed it was overkill and that we would come back to everything being as it was (which we did, both times), it was still immensely stressful. I feel your pain! :(

    I really want to see your owls! I've been dying to get a pattern because they're sooo cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh I've just joined the Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet House Cup as well - NQFY this term - very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're safe and sound, and got to have electricity! Love the dishcloths, can't wait to see them finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you are safe and sound, I like the washcloths and am going to have to go and have a nosy at the harry potter knitting and crochet house cup now as it sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been playing the House Cup with my daughter for awhile now, and this term without her as she's too busy with school, etc. It does inspire you to try new things, doesn't it? I hope you have a great time with it.

    Evacuation sounds like a nightmare, but what a relief that your home stayed safe and you did too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I know how you feel! We were out of power for 36 hours, and knitting by candlelight isn't as romantic as you think it'll be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you're safe. We were a bit put out by the hurricane as well (our flight to Ireland was canceled because of it) so we were just as peeved when we found out that it had died down by the time it reached New York.

    On to happier subjects, I love how the washcloths are turning out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though you were evacuated, I am very relieved to hear that you are all alright and managed to escape everything!!!

    Your washcloths are amazing. And you owls in all stages make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I hadn't heard of the HP cup, will have to check it out! Love the colours of your washcloth and sorry about your uncooperative climate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear you're ok...I haven't gotten to talk to anyone who was evacuated yet, although I spent a scary 48 hours packing essentials and medications because I thought we would be. And, I feel your pain about the heavy, humid dishcloths, they just don't work in the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you are safe even though it was annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey fellow NYer -- Glad you made it through the storm. I'm sorry you had to be evacuated but better safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is good to know your safe :) I enjoy reading your blog so I am going to add your blog to my bloggy list, so consider me a fellow follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear the storm didn't affect you too badly! Loving the washcloths!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you weren't too affected by the storm, but shame about your quaint Little House on the Prairie-esque weekend being thwarted!! xx

    ReplyDelete