Friday, August 12, 2011

Owl Waffles, Friday Edition.


Everyone say hi to Shawn, a craaaazy owl who freelances for the Santa Barbara police department.  (Anyone else a Psych fan?  I'm not caught up with the show because I don't have cable, but I love it.)  Anyway, if you're not familiar with the show, Shawn Spencer is its central character, and he's hilarious and super-zany and inspired this owl.


Pineapples are also a running gag on the show, so that inspired the yellow/hint of brown coloration for Shawn's body, and this pineapple-based photoshoot.  (That pineapple is getting cut up and grilled tonight, yum.)  I won't say too much about Shawn just now, since he'll be your Owl Along Guide next week.  I hope.

Actually, speaking of the Owl Guide---would any of you awesome people like to volunteer to be a test audience for it (uh, when it exists...)?  I wouldn't be asking you to actually make an owl (unless you want to!), just let me know if it makes sense, etc.


I finally got around to finishing the Dotee Doll I showed you all weeks ago, too.  There's really no comprehensive tutorial around about how to make these, it seems, but the basic components seem to be that they're limbless blobs with sweet little faces (generally embroidered, but my embroidery sucks so I painted mine on felt with a teeny brush), hanging loops on top, and beaded "tails" on the bottom.


Since mine is going to someone as part of a books-and-tea themed swap, I gave her a little felt book which you can actually open (and hold closed by wrapping thread around the button), and teacup fabric on the back.  My sewing is still awful, but there are aspects of this that I'm pleased with (the book, mostly) and it was a cool learning experience, so I'm considering it a success.


I also used this tutorial/template to make a giant felt flower hair clip.  I think it speaks well of the template's simplicity and A+ design that I made this with giant, blunt scissors (too lazy to go dig up smaller, sharper ones, it was late at night...) while I was half-asleep and it still turned out this well!  I need some felt in magentas/purples to do another one, I'm dying to layer them with the heathery grey.


I love that you guys were excited about the banana oatmeal waffles, which turned out really tasty.  Here, have a bite---if you look really closely, you can see the rolled oats in there, being toothsome and delicious.  The recipe I used is from the Vegan With a Vengeance cookbook, and I found it reproduced online here.  I did mine sans raisins, because I wanted to top them with sliced strawberries instead.


In other FO Food this week, this thing doesn't really look like much, but I'm ridiculously proud of it.  It's a miniature lime ice cream pie that I made for my mom for her anniversary, and I made the ice cream myself by bastardizing several different recipes and keeping my fingers crossed, and it worked.  It even popped out of the heart-shaped mold I froze it in with minimal trouble!  I have about a billion photos of the process of making it and may give it its own post at some point in the future.

Check out other people's weeks in projects at FO Friday and Fibers on Friday

20 comments:

  1. Yay, Psych! I just caught up with the show last week and I am awaiting October for the new season. LOVE that owl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would test an owl if I could crochet :P good luck with putting a pattern out! And, I would LOVE to see a tutorial for lime ice cream cake!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab owl, love that he had an inspiration character too ;) Also love the hairclip, so pretty I might have to make one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would totally be your owl guide audience :) I'd even make one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and that ice cream is amazing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another cute owl! Totally volunteering myself a as a test crocheter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Owl is stunning! He is so sweet. Thanks for the bite of the waffle and now save us some ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shawn is adorable, and if I could crochet I would definitely test the pattern for you ;)

    And your Lime Ice Cream Pie has me drooling...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be a test subject for you!!! Shawn is amazing, as is his friends!!! Those banana oatmeal waffles look to die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it all!!! i would love to test your owl pattern, you know how much i love them! :D i watch way too much tv but i actually have never heard of psych. i may have to check it out. you can always hulu your show. :)
    happy fof day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun inspiration for your owl!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy moly, Shawn is SO cute!!! Can I just throw my hat into the ring as a pattern tester? If you've already got enough volunteers, I will eagerly await the pattern's final draft.

    Does this mean you're going to do a CAL soon??? I was hoping you would do that with the dragon you made, too. :) I'm so eager to participate in an ____-along!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh lime ice cream ... I've had avocado lime ice cream before, I'll bet lime by itself is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that dolly has the loveliest face!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely FOs! That Owl is supremely cute and very pineappley (that's not a word, is it?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great stuff!! I just made some yogurt pops, but they seem a poor treat after seeing your lime pie:( Shawn is adorable, I'm amazed every time you finish another owl because they all have so much of their own personality. I know a lot of people have offered, but if you need another "process" tester, I would happily give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look at how much you have done in a week! i'm in awe. Not a crocheter or i would help test.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The owl is beyond adorable. I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute! Love the detail of fuzzy yarn!

    ReplyDelete