Friday, August 19, 2011

Owls, Owls Everywhere...

...And not a tutorial in sight. :|  Yet.  I've been having a week where I've (fortunately!) had time to craft, but (unfortunately!) had no time to sit around writing about crafting.  But thanks so much to all of you who volunteered to read/test the tutorial when it exists.  I really appreciate it and will be in touch. 

Anyway, on to the owls!



Harry had only just started his porridge when, sure enough, there was a rushing sound overhead and a hundred or so owls streamed in, circling the hall and dropping letters and packages into the chattering crowd.  A big, lumpy package bounced off Neville's head and, a second later, something large and grey fell into Hermione's jug, spraying them all with milk and feathers.

"Errol!" said Ron, pulling the bedraggled owl out by the feet.  Errol slumped, unconscious, onto the table, his legs in the air and a damp red envelope in his beak.

(from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets)

Poor Ron.  What's worse than getting a Howler? Getting a Howler delivered by your family's embarrassing old owl who lands in people's beverages!  (In the movie adaptation of Chamber of Secrets, Errol lands in a bowl of chips crisps instead, hence my photoshoot.  The crisps I could do [these are actually hummus chips, and Errol only got a couple crumbs on his fluff], but popping my crocheting into a jug of milk was obviously not happening.)

When I started a more neutral/natural coloured owl, I decided to name him after the Weasleys' tired old Errol.  And then discovered just yesterday that Errol is supposed to be a great grey owl and uh, looks nothing like this.  But the name is sticking, and now I want to make a grey owl...

Errol has a different face than the other owls, instead of making two separate eye roundies, I worked into both sides of a chain to form an oval and made some shells for the widow's peak shape.  I'd initially planned on giving him sleepy eyelids, but I liked him too much as-is once I popped the safety eyes in.

I'm trying to get my ass in gear and list some of my stuff at my Zibbet shop, so I've started with Errol.  I'm always iffy about whether the photos I take for this blog translate well as product photos, but I was pretty pleased with his photoshoot, so I went ahead.

I also finished Gus-from-Psych in owl form the other day (and, as you can see, owl-Shawn didn't want to let owl-Gus have his moment in the spotlight...).  When I think of Gus, I think of the very classy pastel-and-grey tones that he's often dressed in on the show, so that inspired my colour choices here.

Here's a closeup of Gus's pattern rows, which are just alternating stitches in grey and green, but I don't do a lot of (...or any, really) colourwork, so it was kind of new and interesting to me to get into the rhythm of holding two yarns and switching between them. 

Gus and Errol both have rounded heads instead of pointed feather-ears, and I have to flail a little about the awesomeness of June Gilbank's ultimate finish for amigurumi, which I used to finish said rounded heads.  Seriously, awesome.  So much neater than my usual haphazard tugging and sewing. 


I couldn't resist this little skein of random yarn from a $1 yarn kiosk at the craft store.  "Mix fiber"!  How...specific!  I thought it might be nice for owl wings/details, but when I started working with it...


It made itself into dusties.  Currently in Original and Dust Bunny varieties!  This photo is pretty terrible, but this yarn seriously works up like it's made of dust and drier lint, which I could see being off-putting, but if you just go with it, it's kind of awesome.  I want to turn these guys into keychains, I think, but I'm not sure of the best way to do that without having whatever I'm attaching them with start to pull the crochet out of shape.  Suggestions are welcome!  

Check out other people's less dusty (and hummus-chip-crumby) projects at FO Friday and Fibers on Friday.

26 comments:

  1. The Owls are adorable, the food is making me hungry, love you blog template...poppies...very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you've done Errol's face, it looks extra owly, if that makes sense?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Errol! He's adorable, even if he's the wrong kind of owl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your owls always make me smile.

    How cute are your dusties. They are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dusties! That yarn resembles dust perfectly. I also really like Errol and Gus. I'm starting work on an owlish design, so I find them inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the owls! the color options are limitless! those dusties are too cute! love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!
    Awesome project! The owls are really cute. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought
    http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2011/08/new-pillows.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I like Errol. Funny how different his eyes look crocheted as one piece like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those dust bunnies ARE FANFREAKINGTASTIC!!!! I've gotten the best little balls of fun "mix" yarn from the $1 bin at the craft store! Love how you took something kinda ick and made it wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm seriously in love with Errol. And I love your photoshoots. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has to be the cutest FO Friday post! Those owls (and dust bunnies) are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love them all! I wish the real dust bunnies under my bed were as cute as your:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, the dusty bunnies are ADORABLE!!!!

    Also, is it just me or are those owls multiplying the way the octopodes did? ;)

    Eagerly awaiting a pattern. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too cute! But, I am not sure I want any more dust bunnies in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So funny, I think errol is my favourite of all your owls! I do live them all though!
    Super cute dusties too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your owls and your dusties and dust bunny are cute. So much better than the girl dirts on the Swiffer commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, cuteness everywhere! Those are such awesome pictures of Erroll. The bowl of chips totally rocked and I love his mug shots. I want those dusties, too! They would totally fit in with my decor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. YOU.CRACK.ME.UP!! Loved the story (thanks for the summary...much needed since I'm not a HP fan...blasphemy, I know). Love that little owl!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Finally, the owls!! I really love them! It's amazing how you made novelty yarns/fun fur really work in a project, that alone is a feat! Great job, I adore these (especially in the nest of chips :P )

    ReplyDelete
  20. The yarn gives them a fun feathery look--so cute.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Errol is sooo cute!!!! He really looks awesome! I bet he's really glad you opted for the crisps rather than the milk! haha!! You're dusties cracked me up too!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those owls are pretty cute, but I think I'm in love with the dust bunnies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Kathleen,
    Just to let you know I have awarded you the Versitile Blogger Award on my blog! Please check it out and I hope you accept!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such cute owls, and the DUSTIES!! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete