Friday, August 5, 2011

Sheep Inna Hat.

...Similar to Discworld's sausage inna bun, only not.

A bit of a cheat today, since I finished this last week, but Sharon hadn't received it yet, so it had to stay a secret.  Anyway, I can now introduce Witchy Ewe, a 3-D version of Sharon's adorable business mascot, a knitting sheep in a very elegant witch hat.

I dyed the yarn for Witchy Ewe on a hot, sunny day when I had a bunch of long-drive errands to run, so I took the yarn along with me and set it out to finish drying under the back windshield of the car because I was too excited to leave it on the laundry line all by its lonesome!
Here's what it looked like once it was dried and unskeined...


...made into a ball...


And crocheted into a sheep-shape and then brushed with a suede brush for more authentic wooliness.  This was my first time dyeing/working with my own variegated-ish yarn, and even though it didn't turn out quite the way I'd planned, it was fun watching the colours appear as I went through the whole process.

Witchy Ewe was made from this really simple pattern, but I did the head differently as the version in the pattern, while adorable, didn't give me enough volume to put a witch hat on.  (I made the hat via needle and wet-felting, and it's kind of a wonky shape, but I hoped the beads would distract from that...)
The "foot puffs" are genius, so cute and they really do hold the sheep up nicely.  I (obviously) did mine in a contrasting colour.

Witchy Ewe's more-voluminous-than-the-pattern-specified head and hat made it necessary to give her a little help standing upright correctly, foot puffs or no, so I tucked her into the ridiculously sequin-trimmed kangaroo pocket of this shirt and we took a bicycle ride down to the beach for a satisfactory Balancing Rock.  (Cue another one of those wonderful, absurd LOL what am I even doing right now? crafty moments.  I love those when they roll around.)

 And here's my impossible-to-photograph (especially in this morning's Grey Glare Hell Light) Harry Potter project, a Chocolate Frog.  I used the basic idea of this adorable and super-popular pattern, at first with the idea of making a more realistic-looking toad.  But then I thought omg, Chocolate Frog! and decided to give it crocheted bobble eyes, so it would look more like it was all molded out of chocolate and all of a piece.  I also made it a bunch smaller, and then ended up frogging (LOL) the body to change the way the increases were done so it would be less symmetrically shaped.  I actually really like the shape I ended up with, as it has a little bit of a Marshmallow Peep thing with a broader base and a lumpy body, which makes it seem more candy-like.  (...and did I write down what I did? No.)

Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out again, because I want to make some more flavours---this guy is dark chocolate, and I'd love to have a trio in dark, milk, and white---and then hopefully photograph them better.  This one is uh...purposefully destined to become an ornament, because I was finishing him in a half-asleep haze and didn't think to weight him, so he tips forward. 


And here's Wednesday night's dinner (with a closer view available here), which I'm counting as an Official FO, since I shared it in its WIP state.  The tempeh recipe and serving suggestion of grilled portobello mushrooms and barely-cooked green beans came from 101 Cookbooks, and I can now vouch for its deliciousness.  The sweet-salty-smoky flavours of the marinade all worked really well together, and the tempeh (which is made from cultured soy and, in the case of the one I bought, other tasty grains) grilled really nicely.  I meant to serve it over quinoa, but ended up making some homemade tortillas instead.  (The recipe for those is from Homesick Texan and is amazing.  You can keep making it smaller and playing with different flour combinations and it keeps on working beautifully.)  I did up this haphazard lotus-flower-ish presentation in a hurry because I didn't want everything to get cold!

For more projects by people who probably aren't trying to pass off their dinner as fiber arts, check out FO Friday and Fibers on Friday

15 comments:

  1. That rainbow sheep is SO cute- I love the little hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I can just get lost in your posts!

    Love the Witchy Ewe and got a chuckle out of hearing about the little trip in your pocket.

    Dinner looks fab! I don't have much experience with tempeh. I remember making a meatless loaf from it years ago with apples and carrots all shredded up. And it was good. But recently I tried it in a different recipe and it was a bit too bitter or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    Love them both! So cute and cuddly. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought
    http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2011/08/fibers-on-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these are brilliant! I love the sheep, and hope you remember the chocolate frog pattern, because it's a great idea :)

    Also, your dinner is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love...love the sheep, love the frog, love the dinner. This post made me smile. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever way of drying your yarn. Oh and you dyed it in such pretty colours. The sheep is soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sheep is super cute! I love him <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I didn't realize you even hand-dyed the yarn for Sharon's sheep! That was really nice of you! I got to see the sheep in person and it's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The yarn worked brilliantly for the sheep! Very adorable! Very cool chocolate frog too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not even going to say what the chocolate frog looks like in photos, LOL!

    The little ewe is very cute, espacially those sturdy little foot pads!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that sheep is too cute! We have a local yarn store here called sheep thrills that would LOVE that little guy :) And can I just say that wow- your plating skills with that dinner are fantastic!!! It looks like a four star restaurant quality plate!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sheep is so adorable! I love the multi colours :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the sheep its sooo cute!the dinner plate is so tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore the fact that you took your yarn with you to dry in he car! That's so awesome and I would do the same thing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome. I think cooking is many times a bigger accomplishment than knitting or crocheting.

    ReplyDelete