Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Wednesday with Lots of Magic.

Today marks the year anniversary of WIP Wednesday, which is amazing.  I've only been participating since...I think late November, but the wonderful people I've talked to and stellar projects I've gotten to see and be inspired by have made me a happier crafter and person in general.  Many hugs and skeins of gorgeous yarn to Tami for organizing it and giving us all a way to connect!

I've got a million WIPs whirring around in my brain today, and regretfully none of them are particularly photogenic at the moment.

Like my Owl Tutorial, which currently looks like this:


Or my pattern test hat, which I think I'm going to have to frog, boo.  (But not because of the pattern, which was A+ and I'll definitely link you all to it when it's available.  I'm not sure if it will be for purchase or free or what...)

I decided to make the burgundy colour more fun by adding some Gryffindor gold, but the gold yarn is a sliiiightly heavier weight, which was enough to make the hat bigger than I'd like, and also added annoying increase-wobbles.  So while I love the pattern, and the way this hat looks sitting on the table, I don't think I'd love the way it looks on me.  I may just frog up past the gold and then add stripes in black instead, since I have black in the same weight as the burgundy. 
Here's another little Harry Potter inspired mystery project, which is going to require a little bit of pattern modification fun. :D

And for my next trick (as well as the only WIP I'll actually finish today, I suspect...) I will attempt to transfigure these things into this dinner.

21 comments:

  1. Dinner look promising.. mmmm mushrooms! Hopefully all of your projects come together as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg the owl tutorial!!! i can't wait!! :)

    i have another friend that loves loves love hp! did you see all the patterns that lionbrand put out? they have some neat stuff. :)

    thanks again for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW you are a pattern writing machine! Good luck with getting them down from your head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very intrigued by your mystery Harry potter project! Hope your dinner and projects turn out good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad the gold didn't work out the way that you wanted it to since it looks really great with the burgundy but I bet the black would look good too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah I have several family members who are obsessed with HP. I can't tell you how many HP projects I'll be making for the holidays this year!!! It's a shame the hat didn't turn out. The colors were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, for not being photogenic, the Owl tutorial looks pretty awesome.
    I'm not just saying it, I'm genuinely impressed -- and a little envious! -- of your craft photographing skills. Do you have any tips (perhaps thought of doing a tutorial for extracting interesting/attractive photos out of unattractive WIPs)? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hat looks cute; have you tried it on? Maybe you can block the burgundy out to look okay?

    Dinner looks delish; you're making me hungry and I'm stuck at work for another couple hours :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tempeh and mushrooms are two of my favorite foods!

    Looking forward to seeing the owl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know what tempeh is. Don't tell me, please. Is that some kind of fungi in that package in your photo ? LOL scarey food ....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with all your projects! I know you'll figure out your hat.

    At least dinner will be more of an instant gratification project :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, that dinner looks both delicious and healthy! I have never tried tempeh before. Too bad that I am banned from operating a grill after almost burning down one of my husband's cherished trees. The hat looks so cute. Sorry that you have to rip out the gold.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopefully your dinner went well. It looks like it would be delish!

    Can't wait to see the owl tutorial.

    Thanks for visiting my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to the owl tutorial, the picture looks intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Having seen some of your other owls, I'm looking forward to the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh if you do a tutorial I might have a go at something other than a granny square!

    How big are those mushrooms please?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't wait to see the finished owl! I love Harry Potter, but I'm never attempted a knit from HP...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I approve of Harry Potter projects. :) Can't wait to see what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  19. mm mm dinner :) i hope it turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, ooh, ooh, owl tutorial!!! I like the hat - but I understand your not loving it... how was dinner? What did you make?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh that dinner sounds delicious! I'm intrigued by the mystery HP project...

    ReplyDelete