Friday, September 23, 2011

Various Objects, Finished.

Well.  Not having the time or presence of mind to blog for weeks makes for an impressive, if somewhat cheaty, FO Friday post. (Totally not worth it, though.  I miss sharing projects and stuff with you guys!!)

The whole Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet House Cup thing is doing amazing things for my productivity, however.  The photo above---well, the yarn parts anyway--- was my homework for Defense Against the Dark Arts class, where I did a little yarn-dyeing with Kool-Aid.  (Awesome.  Must try again soon.  I'm also thinking of putting some in my hair.  I missed that boat in the 90s, I have to make up for it now!)

For Potions, the prompt was deflating draughts, with one option being "deflate your stash of yarn that's been hanging around for six months or more," and I used a lot of tiny, otherwise pretty useless yarn balls that have been around for uh, embarrassingly longer than six months, and made myself a hexagon scarflette.  I even crocheted some light cotton yarn into tiny balls for buttons.  (Those would be the teal blobs on the top left.)

 I used the first two rows of a flower motif that was supposed to be a scarf from some random crochet magazine.  This was my first experience actually joining motifs, and I got so excited about the puzzle-piece nature of putting them together that I didn't do the most amazing job actually stitching them in the neatest possible way...next time will be better.  This isn't a perfect object by any means---I made it rather too high in the neck, and it folds over onto itself when worn---but it is wearable and cozy-ish, and as someone who rarely makes wearable items, it was kind of exciting.


...but not as exciting as the bear slippers!  It got cold (well, to reptilian me) here for a few days, and I couldn't find any of my slippers from last winter and my feet were freezing, so I made a pair.  I used this pattern, which is awesome.  I modified it a little, but these are still a bit big, so the next pair (I already bought some yarn for them, this is how much I like these slippers) are going to have to get modified even more, which I'm looking forward to (mainly because I'm not making them yet and fitting-and-frogging and fitting-and-frogging...).

I did them in brown because my mama raised me all practical-like in that regard---when we're making something to walk on, we do it in dirt colours!---and halfway through (discouraged, I'll admit, by the relative non-cuteness of slippers in Red Heart Super Saver brown) I decided they would be bear slippers.  So they got ears and faces, and they've hardly left my feet since.  I think I could get into this whole...making things to wear thing.

But then again, there's nothing like a nice project with a face.  I started this dragon (whose full name is Quintus Junius Caramel) at like, 5 AM Tuesday morning, thinking I'd probably frog him and restart.  The pattern called for bulky yarn, and I haven't really done any ami in bulky, and I didn't think I'd like it.  I was happily wrong, I love how fluffy-squishily this worked up.  And somewhere along the line, it became clear that he needed a chef's hat and apron.  I don't really remember why, but they were fun to make!  I also made the mat he's standing on from this awesome potholder pattern.  I'd never worked anything constructed like this before, where you're working in a spiral but switching colours and letting the colours sort of...chase themselves around to create the spiral rows, and it was fascinating.


And, of course, at least one owl.  Meet Lucy (named for Lucy Westenra in Dracula), the vampire owl.  She didn't turn out exactly as I envisioned, but I sort of like her anyway.  Even if I broke her first blood-smeared beak and had to make another one and it held me up for days...

 I think Lucy is actually getting purchased, even, which is beyond cool, and probably necessitates the making of Vampire Owl 2.0, which will give me a chance to try different colours and maybe the eye-circles design instead of the solid-face-piece design, which I think might be a better vampy look?


Go check out other people's finished (or just fibery-wonderful) things at FO Friday and Fibers on Friday!

29 comments:

  1. You're killing me. That's it, killing me!

    Must try to slippers, since you raved so much about them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of giving owls for ravelry projects. I wish I hadn't already started my skirt, because that's my current big project.

    Your vamp owl is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dyeing with KoolAid is SO much fun!!!

    LOVE your animals- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fabulous finished objects!!! I've really missed seeing you post, so this was a happy sight.

    I've been doing a lot of KA dyeing lately and had the exact same thought with my hair. Although mine is so dark, I don't know how it'll take unless I want to bleach first (which I don't, especially).

    Lucy is fantastic -- I'm not surprised to hear she's been purchased.
    I love the spiral - I crocheted something like it, myself, and thought it was really fun. Never turned it into anything, but I just wanted to see if I could.

    The third photograph looks like something out of a magazine -- I continue to be dumbfounded and inspired by your photography!!!

    Have a wonderful weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, lots of great FO's. I love the bear slippers. The faces and ears were the perfect finishing touches to make them cuter. Your dragon and vampire owl are also great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your scarflette, the owl is gorgeous, and I love your dragon! The dragon was the second pattern I made when I was learning to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG i LOVE your vamp owl!!! soo awesome!!!! and those slippers! in fact your whole blog! lol
    New fan here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S share your blog on my FB page :) hope you dont mind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love your stuff so much! so glad i found you. :)

    i've been meaning to make that potholder for my wall of potholders, have been so busy with other stuff though.

    have a great weekend & happy fof. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those slippers are awesome. I love how one foot has a cute sleepy bear and the other foot has some kind of snarling evil bear with sharp pointy teeth. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been thinking of having a go at the snow dragon for ages. It's just moved up my list again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. too many adorable fo's - especially love dragon chef and vampire owl - they could totally be partners in crime!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They're all so cute, but I think the owl is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, bear slippers, a dragon with an apron and a vampire owl! I may burst with just how amazing these are!!! Love them, totally love them! You're so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have some fabulous projects! Love howcute they are and so functional! Thanks for visiting and your very nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow I love everything! I agree with you, making things to wear is awesome! but making toys is just as great. it's been a while since I've made any, but I totally want to now after seeing your post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was starting to get worried after not seeing any posts here for a few weeks! Now I see that you have been on a creative roll! Quintus and Lucy are adorable! Your creatures always have such fun personalities, so a dragon needing a chef's hat and apron makes perfect sense. But the best part of this post was seeing your wearable objects. The scarflette is amazing looking and very stylish. The slippers are to die for! Love the ears and the bear appliqués.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How cute!!! I have a link party at my blog right now. I would love it if you linked up one of your projects. Have a nice day!
    Annemarie
    www.annemarieshaakblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like your slippers, and it is very logical to make things in dark colours as light coloured slippers always get so dirty looking.

    All of your projects are awesome though :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the slippers and the scarf. And your dragon chef--BRilliant.!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun assortment of FOs. I like your motif scarflette. The buttons are awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the chef dragon, and also the swirly potholder - so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vamp owl - so awesome! Love the dragon too :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that does look impressive! I love that scarf you made, and all the animals--Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an overload of cuteness on this post!! I love everything! The owl and dragon are adorable, and what you did with the crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cute ideas, i love it very much. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very nice post. I absolutely love this website.
    Continue the good work!
    Also see my web page > FinderHostel.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Malaysia & Singapore & brunei finest on-line blogshop for wholesale & supply korean accessories,
    earrings, earstuds, locket, rings, bangle, hair & bracelet accessories.

    Promotion 35 % wholesale price cut. Ship Worldwide
    Visit my website ... xbox 360 repair

    ReplyDelete
  29. I always spent my half an hour to read this weblog's articles or reviews every day along with a cup of coffee.
    my web page: mma fighters

    ReplyDelete