Friday, September 2, 2011

What's Full of Double Crochets and Getting Mailed to South Dakota?


This stuff!  I'm happy to say that Sprout the Squid seems to approve of my star-shaped dishcloth.  You always want to please your squid.

I haven't got time for a quality post (or quality photos, ugh) today, but I did want to get these things up to share, and I'm looking forward to catching up with all of your Friday posts tonight or tomorrow. :D

I used this pattern, and loved how quickly and enjoyably it worked up.

I also made a square cloth, using a block from this book.  I love the look of mitred squares, but hadn't tried one yet.  The book has multiple styles/methods of them, so there may be more on the way...





This was one of those instances where the yarns matched a little too well, I think.  This is three colours (yellow, a variegated one, and red) of Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (which somehow seems softer/easier to work with to me than Sugar and Cream, but that may be a figment of my imagination...), and they're so well-matched that the striping effect of the square got a little lost.  Next time, more contrast in my colours.




I also whipped up one of the ever-popular Olivia's Butterfly hats, a pattern I've been wanting to make since I saw it on an FO Friday a million years ago.  This owl was nice enough to model it for me (it's way too small for my giant skull). 

Definitely more hats-and-cloths on the way before I box it all up to send to the Pine Ridge Reservation later this month. :)

Check out other people's Friday goodies over at FO Friday and Fibers on Friday.

24 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the little hat, such a cute pattern (and the owl sets it off beautifully!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have made 2 of your 3 projects. :) that hat is super cute! i love your dish/wash cloths too. great job. i have no fof today, still working on my crochet along. :) happy fof!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SQUID! Holy cow, I kind of love him. Too cute! Looks like you've been busy lately. The owl's hat is fabulous too. You know how owls love their vintage-inspired hats...

    ReplyDelete
  4. STUNNING! The squid is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it all looks awesome, I love the squid especially! I love mitered squares too! but I've only ever made knitted ones =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little hat is very cute! Lovely dishcloths too! Sprout the squid made me smile too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That star washcloth is unusual, and pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "All hail His Squidness!" Especially loving how that first dishcloth starts- will be using that the next time I do a starghan for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everything, especially the squid!! Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gaaahhhh! I thought the squid was part of the washcloth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You just make the cutest things ever!!! Love all of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am loving that star dishcloth. The colors are terrific. The hat is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything is lovely! I especially like the squid and the star wash cloth, and the hat (and the owl) are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute hat! So glad the squid approves of the dishcloth, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the washcloth and the hat. That owl/hat combo is too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I'd never thought I'd say it, but cute dishcloths!!
    And that hat is v sweet.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. That star is my favourite, and you linked the pattern...oh I must try it!!

    Your squid is also quite adorable!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, thank you for the lovely comment and for following my blog...

    I added your star to my Pinterest, so I don't forget to make it one day..

    http://pinterest.com/pin/179192397/ see, here it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That octopus is the coolest thing!! I've been dying to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah love the star dischcloth!!! Beautiful - I can't imagine ever managing anything so neat! Do you just use cotton yarn for dishcloths? I'm thinking they'll make good Christmas pressies for the grannies in my life! x

    ReplyDelete