Friday, October 7, 2011

FO Friday: Everything Has a Face! Even Hats!

Possible excuses for my complete lack of blogging mojo lately:  brain slugs.  I made the first of these guys (the big one on the far left, done in cotton) from this super-simple pattern for International Crochet Day.  I decided that for once, I was going to start and finish something simple, without modifying and adding details and generally complicating the process until a three-inch-tall brain slug ends up taking me several weeks to make.  It was fun to just sit down and make something in like, an hour, and totally fitting to celebrate International Crochet Day with the joy of Instant Crochetification, I think. :)  So I made more---the one in the middle is wool and felted (I felted him by taking him in the shower with me, hah) with his eye needle-felted on, the one on the right is made from sparkly yarn.

I also did another monster---I'd been meaning to make more freeform monsters since the birth of Bothersome the Slumberless months ago, and I ended up with Melody (that's a link to her page on Ravelry, which has some details and more photos).  I made her as part of a team effort for Care of Magical Creatures class (Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet House Cup = still the best thing ever), and got inspired by one of my teammates' photoshoot of their knit monster on the beach, so I gave Melody a beach photoshoot of her own.  I love that she almost looks animate in the photo above, like she's poking at the shell with her little tentacle and going oooOOOooo.  Melody may end up starring in a Halloween giveaway a little later.

And what's an FO Friday from me without an owl?  This is Cressida, the astronomer owl.  I made her little telescope from polymer clay, and completely failed to photograph her adequately.

Reginald the gnome (made from a pattern you can find here) fared somewhat better in the photography department.  Inspired by the success of the shower-felted brain slug, I took Reginald into the shower with me, too, and then dried him off by popping him in the oven set to "warm" for a while because he needed to be finished on a deadline!  I needle felted his beard and then, because I can't leave well enough alone, sewed some washers onto him for visual interest.  His hat is made in my own Kool-Aid dyed yarn.

Are any of you guys members of Craftsy?  I am, although I haven't really had time to explore the site fully yet.  But I did have time to read their email about a drive they're running to make chemo hats for Kaps for Kendall (oh, how it pains me to type "kaps" with a k...), and when I saw this silly yellow terrycloth yarn, it screamed rubber duck!! to me, and this hat was born.  The hat itself is sloppy (it is impossible to see your stitches very well in yarn like this, especially at night) but snuggly, and the face (all improvised after doing a quick google for "rubber ducky" to see what their eyes look like) makes me giggle, so I hope it'll cheer up the person who ends up with it.

I also did my first Tiny Bunny Drop after being alerted to the existence of the Tiny Bunnies Movement by Contessa.  This is Bronwen the Book Bunny, crocheted up while I watched Body of Proof (which is one of my favourite shows-to-crochet-to, for some reason, I guess because it has the perfect balance of like...fun and ignorableness?) nestled under several blankets (why so cold already, October?  please stop.).   I left her on top of a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows at the library in hopes that someone awesome will find her.  Today I think I'll make one to drop off at a Starbucks, maybe in a lighter brown, and I can name her "Mocha" and then reward myself with a latte...

Other good rewards-to-self: looking at the prettiness on FO Friday and Fibers on Friday!

20 comments:

  1. Yay! Brain slugs! I made a huge one for a friend's kid at one point. They're fun.

    http://www.ripitgood.net/2010/05/18/brain-slug/

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Everything is so cute! I love the hat and the gnome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the brain slugs and freeform monster, they're all awesome!

    I always find body of proof to be perfect TV for knitting, I know what you mean ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love the brain slugs!!! I might have to make one for my brother - he's a HUGE futurama fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh, brain slugs ... need some of those! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much awesomeness all in one post, Kathleen! The brain slugs are too funny -- and I love Instant Crochetification, that should be the Word of the Day.

    You put so many details into your little creatures -- Santa has a sweet face, the owl has that terrific telescope, and the duck hat is just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute are these little guys? I love your astronomer owl! By far my favorite...but I have a slight obsession with owls LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are amazing! I love all your creations so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You amaze me !! what can i say everything is fab !! love everything !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a lot of FOs!! I love the brain slugs and the monster but that owl is fab!!! I might have to have a go with a few of these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you've been so busy! The brain slugs are awesome. Cressida is fantastic and her telescope is so cute. I love the purple monster. The rubber duck hat is amazing and the bunny is super cute! I hope someone awesome finds her quickly <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute collection of little things with faces! Sometimes I want to learn to crochet better just to make those little guys...and then my needles stab me in gentle reminder why I knit...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, so many cute finished projects. I need to make some brain slugs and put them on my head at work. LOL

    I love your gnome and tiny bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have sooooo many cute monster projects, the first one amused me...Brain slugs!!!!

    I have seen a few people messing around with polymer clay...it looks intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! Those brainslugs are so cute! Did you mount the green ones to a headband? Or are you just very balanced?
    LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those brainslugs are the funniest things! Love them! Your tiny bunny is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a lovely plan, "Mocha" and Starbucks! All your projects are adorable and I especially love the gnome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brain slugs are awesome! The little gnome is my very favourite though, I want him for my very own!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, you have been incredibly busy ad made a huge amout of awesome. I was all ready to gush over the brain slugs, and then I saw all your other projects ad can't begin to pick a favourite

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love, love, love the idea of the tiny bunny movement! Argh - I want to get involved! Need more hours in the day! x

    ReplyDelete