Sunday, October 16, 2011

Spooktacular Squee.

Today's squee is all about beautiful weather (which I sadly wasted a little as I got caught up in a crocheting project---my first crocheted cables!  More on that later this week.) and Halloween decorations.  Halloween is my absolute favourite holiday, and every year I swear it's going to be the year that I really go all-out with the decorating, but it just...never is.  I'm pretty much okay with that by now!  I did, however, get this cool spider tea-light-holder thing (not pictured: two other sparkly-spiders mounted on the stake!) on uber-sale at Joann's.  I think I'm going to have to buy those lame fake tealights for it, as real ones would just get blown out since the spiders, awesome as they are, won't offer much of a shield from the wind.  (I insist on real candles for jack'o'lanterns, though.  Fake ones would just be wrong.)

I also adorned the ugly hedge in front of my house with some fake spiderwebs and orange and too-blue LED ghost lights.  Much better.

I ended up in a dollar store by accident on Thursday, and came home with this guy (...and a box of mini Moon Pies, another source of tasty and evil squee).  I may go back there later for more of them---they had smaller ones that came hung on a garland, I don't know if I can resist.  Not to mention the actually-kind-of-creepy gummy eyeballs.  And super-cheap votive candles that might do for this year's jack'o'lanterns!  And Reese's Peanut Butter Cups...

I generally scoff at my dad's weird affection for and/or obsession with dollar stores, but I think I've just been reminded of the appeal.  This is probably bad.

But awesome dollar store finds aside, I think the most fun Halloween stuff is handmade.  These guys are another accident---I found a tutorial that said you could create little felted balls by just sort of...shaking wool roving around in a sealed container with warm, soapy water.  It didn't work out for me (it didn't help that the container I was using wasn't particularly watertight, so I got tired of shaking it and getting damp really quickly), but I ended up with these cool creepy-wispy shapes that I decided to needle felt into ghosts. 

10 comments:

  1. Oh my word, these projects are divine!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your accidental ghosties at the end there. I mean, I like halloween decorations in general, but I really like that you were able to use an oopsie to such great effect. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! love the little ghosties! I love Halloween too, and I remember as a kid, so many houses used to decorate..now it seems like hardly anyone does :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! From the pic it looks awesome. I miss decorating for Halloween. It used to be my favorite holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh so spooky, giggle I think the ghosts are so cute! I enjoyed my visit to your blog ( following now) I love your profile info. Hugs and Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the ghosts are so great! I'm the same way, I always say that I'm going to decorate every year (halloween and christmas) and yet, I never end up doing much. I love your decorations though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being an Australian, I've mostly missed out on the fun of Halloween as it is not widely celebrated here, which is a shame. Your little ghosts are great and I enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks for dropping by mine too. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love halloween the most too. i mean i really like christmas but not because of the gifts, i like the family time & the house lights. :) i need to pull out my orange/green/purple tarantula lights. :)

    i was just reading your last comment & i never know if you see my comments back so i thought i could comment back on here. so this show Life, was it a showtime show too? i wonder if it's on video on demand? what's it all about? sorry all the questions. :o) glad i could remind you of the show. it's so good, you just don't know how it's going to end & i like that element of surprise. "see you tomorrow" on wipw. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love your decorations!! I haven't been able to celebrate Halloween properly in years, and I'm so excited to be having a party this year, just so I can decorate! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, fab ghosts! Love that you managed to turn a not-quite-successful project into something pretty AND seasonal! x

    ReplyDelete