Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cats and Rainbows. My WIPs are a Lisa Frank trapper keeper.


Here's Ms. Amineko, going along quite nicely, I think.  I just have the body to finish, and that can probably be done over the course of an episode or two of Blue Bloods (I have the first season from the library right now, and I'm mostly liking it.  Good crafting-to TV.) tonight.  Then comes the face-embroidery and assembly, which will be a little more difficult.  I'm just lucky that I realized when I'd only gotten six rows into the body (1.0) that ajlksdjflksa THE BODY HAS TO BE DONE LAST FOR OPTIMAL STUFFING OH MY GOD, because the body's beans:stuffing ratio will be dependent on how the legs help it balance! So I frogged and started in on the arms and legs instead, and now here I am at body 2.0, feeling stupidly relieved to have caught that in time.

Also, if you're thinking of making one of these sweeties yourself and the charted pattern scares you, I'm happy to share the discovery of this version, put together by an enterprising blogger waaaay back in 2006.  Someday I'll learn to read charted patterns.  But not today.

And a couple things that I'm looking forward to getting back to once Amineko is all finished and gift-given:


I got a ball of Blue Moon Socks that Rock yarn as a "sorry you couldn't go to Rhinebeck" gift, and it's a whole "Baby's First Quality Yarn" experience for me.  And oh my gosh, I'm in love.  First of all, the colours are amazing---this photo doesn't do them justice at all.  But it just feels so good to work with. Even working into the foundation chain (my hatred of said process is part of the reason I'm so into amigurumi, haha) wasn't a problem.  This is going to be a pair of Fingerless Gloves of Win.  Someday.  And then I imagine I'll take the rest of the giant, gorgeous ball and roll around with it like a gleeful kitten.  And then stalk the Blue Moon website pretending I have money for moooooore yarns.

I also started an Elise shawl,which I'm not sure about yet.  Mine doesn't look as open and pretty as all the photos on Ravelry, which I think is partly due to the magic of blocking, but is also due to the fact that I'm not great with sock-weight yarn and a large-ish hook (I think this pattern calls for an H? maybe an I?  I obviously haven't worked on it in a while), so my tension kind of sucks.  I probably would have already frogged this and started over except that the yarn is sort of hard to frog, so I'm hesitating.  I like the colours, though.

Awesomeness awaits you at WIP Wednesday, go ogle all the Christmas-craftin' (and just plain craftin') that's going on!

19 comments:

  1. I made an Elise shawl a little while ago. I had the same feelings as you! Blocking does wonders for it I have to say, although, I felt like mine was too open, and I went for a different border in the end.

    Fingerless Gloves of Win are in my favourites for if I ever get a chance to do them - yours are fantastic, I love the colours! Good luck with your cat's body, it's looking great so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors on your shawl! And I really have seen the magic of blocking in more open patterns like that. Stick with it!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sock yarn is amazing. Where did you get it from?!? I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have great taste in colours. I love all your choices, especially the gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the amineko cat. It's in my queue. Just need to learn to crochet. I've been on a toy kick lately :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the yarn for your projects! It's all so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesomeness! Can't wait to see the finished kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the colors in that yarn are bright and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving the rainbow colour and your cat looks amazing already!!!! Have bookmarked your blog now because I need to see how these projects turn out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The blue moon yarn looks so pretty - I want to get my hands on some at some point, those colours just seem to glow!

    I love the way your shawl is looking, the colours are gorgeous and I'm sure that blocking will open it up beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the color for your amigurumi, can't wait to see it all put together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing colors. your shawl will be great when you block it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. finally catching up to your stuff, you are a better internet friend than i am & i apologize! all of your stuff is so nice, i love it & i love those rainbow yarns & the shawl is so lovely in it's rainbow fashion too. gotta love those owls too in your previous posts & the paper mache cat is gorgeous! happy holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like all of the exciting bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The colors of all your yarns are inspiring...Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty pretty yarn! Those are going to be lovely fingerless gloves. Your shawl looks great too, stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The gloves look awesome! I love Socks that Rock yarn! Can't wait to see Ms. Amineko all done!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ROTFLOL at your post title...I had a trapper keeper, covered in Lisa Frank stickers!! Love the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  19. For their part, Epson and HP slashed stickers by sandstone prices.
    Spain now has only one national leftwing newspaper, while four titles occupy the political right.
    Why do the images in the album, glue wrapping paper onto the desired fabric
    or paper called laminated object manufacturing LOM. The best thing we can do now
    is say 'today wasn't important' and motivate the players to play better.

    Also visit my website; Create Stickers

    ReplyDelete