Friday, December 9, 2011

The Owl(s) and the Pussycat(s). And Chinese Food.

First, the FO I'm most excited about---my painted papier-mache cat from almost a month ago.  I asked my mom what sort of colour scheme she wanted, and she waffled, so I decided to go with something inspired by Laurel Burch's cats, which my mom loves even though she's not usually into such bold colours and prints.  The face turned out a little sloppy because I was using too big a brush and the uneven surface of the papier-mache is a bit of a challenge to begin with, but still so much fun to paint on. 

Without much further ado, I'd like to introduce you to some of the owls that have been piling up (and fortunately, selling!) while I haven't had any time or reliable internet access to blog.

Like Ms. Katherine the vampire owl, who took a walk to the cemetery with me to be photographed.

And Shinobi the very cunning and slightly lopsided (that's what I get for working with black yarn.  at night.  while watching Parks and Recreation.) ninja owl...

And Zoinks the zombie owl, pictured here with his novelty-yarn feathers ruffling in the wind, which I was so excited ended up in the photo!

And Maya, whose yarn (Loops and Threads Impeccable in Folklore) didn't work up as nicely as I thought it would!  And this is only some of them!  I don't want to owlwhelm you all, so I'll save some for later. 


I wanted something smaller and cheaper for the craft fair table, so I devised these pocket cats.  And photographed them on top of a tub of French lentils for no reason.  A friend's six-ish year old son bought the grey one and---adorably---had his mom email my mom requesting friends for it in blue and green, so that's what will be on my hooks tonight as I curl up in front of the TV.

And last but not least, some Christmas-gift crocheting.   More dumplings from this super-cute pattern, and this time I did the soy sauce bottle, too.

Check out other people's finished goodies at FO Friday. :D

15 comments:

  1. Love the owls! And the blowing feathers is pretty awesome! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my your owl is so adorable! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cat is great! I love the paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pocket cats are adorable! And the dumplings make me hungry. Nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kitty is adorable. And, doesn't EVERYBODY need a Ninja Owl??? ;-)

    Very cute projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything! no matter how many times I see your owls I'm always thinking, AWWWWWWW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the owls. I have been itching try to and make a few. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though Zombie's scare me, I love Zombie Owl!!! Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was hoping that you would post about the papier mache cat again. Love the painted transformation! Your owls are always so fun to see. And the dumplings are adorable! I want those.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the owls, and all the clever photography. The paper mache cat is amazing, I love it! So many cute things, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the cats and all the owls! Mine and my husbands favourite is ninja owl :) The cats and the dumplings are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how you painted the cat, its perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Maya is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, goodness! I love the dumplings and the owls, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh - they are all so super cute I couldn't even begin to pick one to like the best! I did think I saw a owl mug in there too? Too cute!! The dumplings made me smile because I have the gluten free one you made me on my window sill in my living room (along with my witchy sheep) so I see it everyday and my knitting group gets to enjoy them too!!

    ReplyDelete