Friday, December 16, 2011

Small Projects Finish Fast.

...which sounds like an acronym you'd use in elementary school, like Every Good Boy Does Fine to remember the notes of the treble clef.

So here are my handful of pocket cats, the absolute essence of "small project."  The green and blue ones on the bottom were my "commissioned" cats, and went out to their new owner on Sunday.

I've also done a couple small projects from other people's (generous! lovely!) free patterns, like this teeny snowman from here at the Dapper Toad.  I recommend this little guy, he's crocheted/shaped all in one piece, rather than making a separate head and body, and now I want to make an army of them in different coloured scarves...


I also couldn't resist (and also want to make more in different colours) this tiny stocking pattern from Amiguria.  Another fast, fun, and blissfully-made-in-one-piece project.  There are so many possibilities to embellish these things, too, it kind of makes my head spin just thinking about it!  I've already started one in more traditional red and white, but got sidetracked by reading Sara Gruen's Ape House instead.  (It's been a while since a book just...sucked me in.  I'd forgotten  how good it feels!)  I'm liking this whole..."making ornaments" thing.  I'm not usually that big into Christmas-anything, but I've got another tab open searching Ravelry for more patterns right now.

 Perhaps adding to my feeling of ornament-making warm fuzziness is that I've been lucky enough to receive some beautiful things from across the pond as a result of belonging to this WIP Wednesday/FO Friday blogging community!  I won the lovely skein of yarn from Nat at Misadventures in Craft, and got the amazing card (featuring the sweetest little handknit tree ever!) from Sam at Knitting Adventures.  After Christmas, I'm definitely passing some luck and sweetness back into the world with a giveaway here at my blog, so stay tuned for that.

Until then, go check out FO Friday.


Oh! And because it feels wrong to make an FO Friday post sans owl, here's Muir, the naturalist owl.  He's one of the few still in my possession, if you'd like him.  Okay, Muir is sold now, but maybe you'd like to swap me something you've knit or crocheted for an owl of your choice (after the holidays)?  I'm sort of dying to swap with some of you guys, if you'd be open to the idea, and I'm mulling over thoughts about that to implement after Christmas, too...

18 comments:

  1. Very cute! Alas, I can't make tiny things anymore. But I love seeing what others make! My daughter would love the tiny kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very cute. Had to laugh reading your title! Is this a pattern of your own, one you can share? I would love to make some....though I wonder how tedious/hard on arthritis the small items are? I think they would be darling for some of the little ones at The Shelters and would make a good charity item?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! Small is good (and cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your little pretties!!!!

    If I don't comment in the next week, I hope you and yours have happy holidays

    Sarah
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness! Pocket cats. Could there be anything cuter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Too perfect! Great for gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pocket cats are adorable! (especially the white and orange one on the far left..reminds me of my childhood kitty) I love your holiday ornaments. The snowman has such a sweet smile. A swap sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear, I LOVE the way the little stocking turned out!!!!
    You did a great job!!!! ^u^
    Have a Merry Christmas and a Wonderful 2012!!! ^u^
    Amiguria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my goodness... all those little guys are SO cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those cats are freakin' adorable! And I love, love, love the owl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only wish the small things finished fastest. They're so often so finicky that I struggle with them. Your cats are soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute! There is no way I could knit anything this small!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those kitties are so adorable!! There is a strange pleasure to be had from teeny tiny project making. It's tedious, but totally pays off in the end. Those are so cute! I wasn't much into Christmasy stuff, either, but there are so many unique patterns on Ravelry that are more than just another boring santa (tiny Mochi Mochi santa excluded!) I enjoyed knitting some ornaments this year and hope to make it a tradition and continue next year, you should too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all of these projects but the cats and the snowman are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. awww the little cats are cute :)-Tori

    ReplyDelete
  16. hoooo they are so cute :-) love it !

    ReplyDelete