Wednesday, December 14, 2011

WIP Wednesday, Short and Sweet.

...And with a terrible photo, as I'm pressed for time and it's already pitch black.  (Ugh, winter.)

If you search for "amigurumi" in Ravelry's pattern database and sort by "most projects," the first result you get is Amineko the cat, who is even the star of his (or her) very own book.  While I've always admired the cute face and extreme poseability of this fine feline creation, and even regarded it as a kind of amigurumi rite of passage, in my head, Amineko falls firmly in the "TOO BIG!!" spectrum of amigurumi for me.

However (as proven by last year's pony semi-fiasco) Christmas-gurumi are an exception to the "TOO BIG!!" rule, and I have a hunch that Amineko's sweet face and array of meditative and cute poses will make my mom really happy.  So I grabbed some good ol' scratchy Red Heart yarn in Turqua (I was tempted by a blue/purple variegated, but I think that Amineko will be better served by a solid colour, although I'm planning a stripe or two on the body, maybe) and started hooking.  I wasn't sold on the head shape, or the head to muzzle ratio at first, but this was one of those cool projects where once I stuck some pins in it, I fell a little in love.  As usual, there seems to be a definite reason why this is an uber-popular pattern.  Even featureless and pinned together, it's cute and oddly friendly and peaceful looking (...that's probably just my vivid imagination filling in the blanks, there...).

I also have a couple random little ornament-type projects lying around, and those, rather than Ms. Neko, will probably be what will show up on Friday.  But I can totally finish this cat by ChristmasThe fact that she's not giant and needing a mane and tail attached will help! 

See other people's presents and projects in progress over at WIP Wednesdays!

12 comments:

  1. CUTE! I didn't even have that pattern in my favorites! What the!

    My first ami was a ginormous teenage mutant ninja turtle, so your kitty seems very enticing to me! One for the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way she's resting her little head on the skein of yarn--personality and she doesn't even have her eyes yet!!! (I think eyes can make a toy gangsta or sweet or mean or intelligent! I love messing with the eyes!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cat looks so cute! I can't wait to see yours. I'm going to learn to crochet in 2012! I'm determined - so much cuteness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So adorable!! I have got to check this pattern out! I think I would want one for myself..maybe to sit by my desk come tax season!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the colour that you picked, she is looking very cute. I tend to stripes and variegations a lot myself, but sometimes you just need a solid colour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking cute :)

    I have to say, the sentence "once I stuck some pins in it, I fell a little in love" made me laugh a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is gorgeous already! I'm sure you can get her finished in time! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! Stripe the kitty! Stripe the kitty! Sorry, I <3 stripes. Can you tell? Very much looking forward to seeing it all come together, I expect your mom's going to be over the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember reading about the horse last year! Has it really been that long? Wow, nothing like knitting nostalgia to make it feel like a year has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't judge anyone's terrible photos, using only iPhone photos lately :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like it is going to be adorable!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm trying to make one and its ok but the head is freaking huge!! its like bigger than a softball. why?? D:

    ReplyDelete