Friday, January 6, 2012

2012: The Year of More Wearable Projects? Possibly.

 
Not that I'm abandoning critter-makin'---I could never---but I'm really enjoying the process of making (and wearing!) non-critters lately.  And if I were a resolution maker, one of my resolutions would definitely be to branch out more with my crocheting this year, so I guess I'm off to an okay start with that here.

Above is my finished Tea Scarf, already off at its new donation-tree home.  This was another crocheting-while-watching-Homeland (and becoming ever more addicted to/intrigued by it!  But I'm trying not to just watch all of it at once.  I still have about half the season to go.) project.  The pattern is one I'd definitely recommend, it makes perfect distracted-crafting, as it's all just double crochets (and double crochet v-stitches for the ruffly trim), and you get a seriously cute product.  Even in yarn that's a shade of pink that should not exist, ever.  I didn't take a picture of this aspect of the scarf, but if you wrap it around your neck singly, it gives a sort of Elizabethan ruffled collar effect that has me planning on making one for myself at some point.  

I also whipped up a Jayne Cobb Cunning Hat (see grainy screencap of the original hat on Firefly here) for Amineko.  This was for a "craft something fast" class prompt over at the Knitting and Crochet House Cup (oh yes, it's time for that again, and I couldn't be more thrilled!), so when I realized that maybe I should have put ear holes in it, I just shrugged and forged on.  I'm not sure how well earholes would have worked anyway, since Ms. Neko's ears---while big enough to cause silly lumps---aren't that big, and I don't know how much/how cutely they'd have poked out of the hat. I used this excellent tutorial to make the pom-pom.  I'd never made a pom-pom before!

 In more House Cup related crafting, I finished a long-languishing bear ears headband, which I started just for the cute factor, but I'm surprised by how warm and functional it is.  My house is super-cold, but wearing a hat all day is just depressing, so this is a good compromise.  I think more headbands are definitely in my crafting-future.


And one last owl-nouncement about my First Owl of 2012 Giveaway.  I'll be picking the winner on Sunday, so please go enter if  you'd like to choose and receive the inaugural owl of this year. :)  And go check out more finished-and-fibers goodness over at FO Friday and Fibers on Friday!

20 comments:

  1. Are you gonna put other ears on your headbands? I think you should. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable headband - definitely need to see more of these! Also a lovely frilly scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome headband. We should all wander around our houses with bear ears in winter. The world would be a better place, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love making headbands & never thought about putting ears on them. awesome idea!!! so going to do that real soon. :)

    love the scarf! curious as to what color pink it is. it looks normal in the pic but the grey probably sets it off differently.

    so glad you are enjoying homeland. it's surprising! love the owl of course, i will have to go put my name in the drawing. :)

    happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks great but I love the headband with ears! It is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the ears, they are so cute!!!! You are very good at crocheting! I know what you mean about making things to wear, I noticed I have an addiction for making squares..I think its my dislike for making foundation chains, granny squares are just sooooo easy to start!!

    I really appreciated your comment to my charity post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG he bear ears are just to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the ruffle edge on the scarf. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That scarf is such a similar pattern to the pastel one I did this week, too funny. Except I much more prefer the ruffle edge on yours as opposed to the scallopy edge on mine, it's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many cute things in this post! I love the bear ears headband. What a fun way to keep warm. The Jayne Hat looks adorable on Ms. Neko. Can't wait to see what you come up with next, wearable or not!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for joining Fiber Arts Friday! I love all of the projects but the Bear ear headband and that owl are my favorites. I like the headband idea more than a full bear head hat like I see so many knit...the one you made is super sassy.

    Must ignore House Cup...Nerd Wars takes up enough of my time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the tea scarf but that owl is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone needs a Jayne hat! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are all so super cute!! It is odd to see a "non - critter" on your page!! Ha Ha! Cute scarf though! The bear headband is just adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The scarf is great. :) I am also challenging myself to make more wearable items.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all your crochet projects. Wow! I can never seem to find crochet projects that inspire me. Who knew they were all in this post on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - all of your projects are so darn cute! The bear headband - LOVE. And the bear with the tiny Jane hat - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete