Friday, January 27, 2012

Dragons, Gadgets, Hats, and Fish.

Despite the Lunar New Year not being a part of my family's cultural heritage, uh, at all, we like to celebrate it with a nice Asian-themed dinner and, in my case, some thematic crochet.  Last year, I did a sculptural-bunny Year of the Rabbit celebration amigurumi.  For Year of the Dragon (which began on Monday), I actually started (and then frogged, the pattern was sort of meh) a dragon ami, and ended up finding a very much non-meh pattern for a crocheted dragon applique instead, and made a bunting instead.

A very difficult to photograph bunting.  But fun!  By the fourth dragon, I had the pattern memorized, and just...dragoned a long while I watched TV.  I did my dragons in worsted weight acrylic yarn, because that's what I'm surrounded by, but they can apparently be done in thread, too, and used as bookmarks, which I might give a whirl.  (Thread crochet: on my "to try, with some trepidation" list.)  There's even instructions about making blanket squares with one of these guys as the center, which is tempting...

I also made my mom an iPod cozy.  Isn't it strange how we'll embark on projects as gifts that we wouldn't make for ourselves?  I got an iPod touch on Black Friday in 2010, and still haven't made a case for it.  It still lives in a random (shamefully storebought) zipper pouch that I had lying around.  For some reason, it always seemed like too boring a project to embark on---crocheting something in the round and not giving it a face?  But why?

However!  Once I began whipping this up, I was happily surprised at (a) how fast it went and (b) the fact that I was not at all bored.  I did this in cotton because it seemed like a better choice, protection-wise, and used the moss stitch for the opening-and-closing flap.
It's possible that I started this Baby Sherlock Hat just becuase I'm crrrraaazy in love with the BBC show Sherlock, which just wrapped up its second series in amazing fashion.  I think the first season is available on Netflix, and if you like mysteries and the best.casting.ever, you should definitely give it a watch! Anyway---I finished the hat because I liked it a lot, once I began it.  I'm not usually thrilled with the look of crocheted stripes, but this pattern made them work!  I already want to make more of these (the colour and button combinations are so much fun to consider!), although I don't really like the way the increases wibble-wobble.  If I do make more, I may try to alter the pattern to fix it.

And there's this fishie, who's part of a larger project that will probably surface (pun not even intended) next week.  Another recommended pattern, it was fun and easy and would be a great way to practice your crochet, if you're looking to do that---it's worked flat rather than in the round (you make two matching halves and sew them together) and it has increases and decreases and working in front and back loops!  And you get this super-cute fish out of it.  The style of the increases and decreases creates these really...curvy pieces, so that even before it's stuffed, it's all puffy and 3-D and sweet.  I'm not even a fish fan, and I can't stop squishing this guy fondly. 

Check out other, possibly more cohesive posts at Finished Object Friday, Fibers on Friday, and Fiber Arts Friday. :D

32 comments:

  1. I love the dragons. THose are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looove your baby Sherlock hat - so sweet!! The dragons are too cute as well, love the look of them "flying" across the wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off I absolutely LOVE the BBC Sherlock series. I am so happy there will be another season! You've been so busy.....all great projects. I love the dragon bunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute little dragon bunting and the Sherlock hat rocks. Especially love the little button detail. The little fishy does look squishy (sorry couldn't help myself)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dragons, I want to make an army of them! The fish is super cute too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. I love the fish! and may have to crochet an ipod cozy just to give it a face, now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son would love that dragon as a bookmark, as he is a huge fan of the "How to train your dragon" series, sadly...I am not a crochet-er...now I'm off to see if I can find something similar as a knitting pattern.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful, whimsical projects!! I especially like the bunting.
    You would probably really like my friend, Deborah's post here: http://feltersjourney.blogspot.com/2011/12/finally-finished-dragon-bag.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bf and I just recently discovered Sherlock and oh my word I must enthusiastically support your assertion that it is a super awesome show. We just wish that the seasons were longer, or that we could figure out how to watch the rest of the seasons (found season 1 on netflix).

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea to make a bunting out of your colorful dragons. They're perfect! I like Sherlock too, and your hat looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great projects, I especially love the dragon garland and the tiny green fish! Have a wonderful year of the Dragon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow how many FOs? That dragon garland is fab. I am a little scared about the prospect of crochet with thread-good luck with that!
    The hat is fab too and I really enjoyed Sherlock, I think I will have to watch it a few more times before the next series comes on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That hat is darling! Almost looks like eyes on it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those dragons are cool! allaboutami.tumblr.com has an ami dragon that she created for the new year- you should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kathleen, I love your dragon bunting! Seriously cool!
    Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog post, you really made me smile with your sweet compliments :)
    Your Sherlock hat is lovely too! I love earflap hats, Ive been crocheting them in newborn size for our newest family members this past few weeks.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all of your projects. The little dragons are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really digging the fishie...can't wait to see the bigger project!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many great projects! I think the fishie is especially cute! He looks so SQUISHIE!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe we don't do Chinese dinner for the new year. That's going to have to change. :p

    That hat is ADORABLE!!! Your posts always make me miss crocheting.

    I saw your reply on my blog-- don't forget to email me! ♥ (Is it too early to remind you?)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The dragons are fantastic! And I'm still waiting for me to make myself a phone case!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love love the bunting, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your dragons! I'm Chinese, It's great to know others celebrate Chinese new year even when it's not in your family heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super FOs. I don't even croceht very much but I am totally in love with the dragon and the idea of a dragon blanket, thanks for the pattern link

    ReplyDelete
  24. The dragons look fantastic, so many wonderful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The dragon bunting looks great! I love making phone cosies - there's no reason you couldn't put a face on one! The fish is really cute too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness look at how much you've completed! You're speedy! I love the dragon bunting - so creative and cute little dragons. The Sherlock hat - *gah* so adorable! It is just that kind of project that I wished I crocheted. Well, learning to crochet is still on my bucket list :) Fabulous job on all of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  27. haha I love the little dragon bunting! and the little fishie is adorable, and I bet my cat would think so too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's some serious variety! Going to check out that hat pattern, and the show too :) I think the hat turned out so well not only because of the pattern, but because of the yarn choice you made!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are so amazingly creative!!! I love the dragon the best - so awesome! Fishy is so cute though too... cute hat - you are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So much awesome in one post!! By the way, I went back and looked at your rabbit ami, and OMIGOSH SO CUTE! Love the bunting, fish...and the hat! We watched the first season of Sherlock on Netflix before we knew the 2nd season hadn't even been filmed yet. After the last episode ended we each immediately grabbed the closest device capable of Internet browsing and tried to find it! Can't wait 'til it shows up on Netflix! =)

    ReplyDelete