Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wednesday: Books and Hooks.

Playing along with both WIP Wednesday and Yarn Along this week, here are a couple dauntingly large projects---Uncle Stevie's new doorstop novel (if Mr. King wants to refer to himself as "Uncle Stevie" in his occasional pieces for Entertainment Weekly, who am I to disagree?  He really does feel like a literary uncle to me, somehow.  When I read his work, I can tell that things like music and pop culture narrative are really important to him, and I like that because hey, I know how he feels) and a cowl so big that it's sort of my Accidental First Sweater.

The cowl (in a yarn that reminds me happily of dragons and sadly looks better on the skein than it does as I crochet with it) is going to have to be partially frogged and reworked so that it's smaller and more useful, but that's going to take some Thought.  And I'm getting over a cold at the moment, bleh, so my brain is a little broken in the Clear Thoughts About How to Make a Cowl department.

Fortunately, my brain isn't too broken for reading doorstop novels, and 11/23/63 is pretty amazing so far.  While it was a bit odd to start and I wasn't sure how I felt---it's a novel revolving around the Kennedy assassination, and I was expecting like...more 60s information/scene-setting (mmm, historical fiction) than I got at first, but then at some point whoomph, the book just became about the narrator's experience as a human being, and I was totally invested and on pins and needles.  I'm over halfway through, and while I'm not as crazy about this one as I was about Under the Dome (I tend to like Uncle Stevie's sprawling big-cast novels more than his first-person-narrator novels in general, I think), I'm obviously enjoying it.

Also on the hooks is, of course, Beth's Owlaway Winner Owl, so here's a beaky sneak peek, but obviously this owl won't be able to make her full appearance here until she's safely at her new home.


So while neither of these particular WIPs will be finished by Friday, I do have some other FOs to share, like the one I was working on when I let PhotoToaster pretentiousify this shot for me.  So stay tuned!

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. I haven't read any Steven King in a long time. Hope your brain and cowl find themselves in harmony soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hate it when yarn looks so full of promise in the skein and then works up as a mess :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very curious about that book! I have not read his books in some time, but how can you not love them? Sounds like this might be one for my husband too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never read any of Stephen King's books before but was intrigued by the topic. I could barely put it down. And then I read it straight through again I enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love Uncle Stevie, too, and I haven't read one of his books in so long... Thanks for stoping by my blog and checking out my hats! All the best ~ Corey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like Stephen King, maybe I will have to try that one. Hope you feel better soon. Good luck with the cowl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arhh Know how you feel. I have cast on 6 times now, for my shawl and still getting it wrong, My head feels like its going to blow. I have never messed up so bad,its siting there now waiting for me to start again! Hope it all works out for you and you are feeling lots better. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like stephen king but sometimes i feel he is overly discriptive. :) i think the last sk book i read was gerald's game, that was forever ago!!

    your owl is so bright & pretty, that's one lucky lady that's getting that beautiful girl! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you can figure out something for the cowl! The owl photo is tantalising! I can't wait to see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooooh, I can't wait to see the owl. I miss EW too. We had to let our subscription go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I hope your cold gets better and that the Clear Thoughts return soon. That FO looks really intriguing. I have quite a few music selections recommended by Uncle Stevie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard good things about that book! I don't know if it's my thing, but maybe I'll try it some time.

    Can't wait to see your FOs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 11-22-63 is my best read of 2011. I could not put it down!
    Your green yarn does look so pretty--love the colors.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete