Friday, February 24, 2012

FMO* Friday!

*Finished Mostly-Owls Friday.

Featuring---now that she's safely in  her new home---Beth's owl, Sugar Plum!  The name and inspiration taken from her blog title, and I loooved putting together all the yarns---it's hard to see in this photo, but Sugar Plum has both a fluffy stripe and a sparkly stripe around her midriff.  Pictured with her are kittypuffs Prism and Concord, who I made for Beth's daughters.

Sugar Plum (the Inaugural Owl of 2012) was closely followed by Spangle, who I made for Stacey of FreshStitches when I found out my mom would be going to her talk/book signing at the Lion Brand store on Monday.  Spangle (named for the not-terribly-well-photographed sparkly novelty yarn in his wings, and the glittery polymer clay I used for his beak) is made with the Halloween-ish wool I dyed back in October, and he's my first wooly owl!  I gave him a little brush with a suede brush for extra fluffitude.  He's smaller than my usual owls, and I was pleased with how he turned out---which was good, because I really admire Stacey's designs and wanted to make her something of utmost cuteness.


And then it was Hogsmeade Weekend over at the Knitting and Crochet House Cup, which included all kinds of awesome prompts for quick projects to make.  One of them was even owl-themed, which actually helped spur Spangle into existence.  I also made a couple origami owls, which was fun---I haven't done any origami for yeeeears.  And then on Monday I was awake and itchy and stressing myself out pre-5 AM for no very good reason, so I gave up and turned on the lights and grabbed my hooks and typed "owl" into Ravelry's pattern search and ended up with Bowie the Insomnia Owl, made from this super-cute little pattern.

And then we had a cup of tea.

I also attempted to improve my nonexistent thread-crochet skills with this star bookmark...

And participated in a Kool-Aid dyealong, the results of which I was really pleased with.  I hadn't realized that you could just wrap your dye-saturated skein in plastic wrap to microwave it (rather than keeping it in the dye bath[s]), and that kept the colours much less muddy and made the whole process take less time, and, I think, cause less heat-fluffing on the yarn.  This is yarn I hadn't attempted dyeing previously (Jo-Ann Kashmira), and I really love the way it took the colour, and it has a more...I don't know, polished? Refined-looking? texture than Fishermen's Wool or Paton's Classic Wool, which are the yarns I've dyed before.  

As always, dyeing one mini-skein makes me need to dye mooooore.  Such an amazing and addictive process---and something I'd never have gotten into except for the wonders of FO Friday and Fibers on Friday. :D

22 comments:

  1. You certainly have been busy! I love the adorable little owls, they are certainly little works of art! Your kool-aid dyed yarn looks great as well, I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are my friends!! you beat me to it! I will blog about them , too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's so interesting to see your dying, I REALLY want to try that, and this makes it look so easy (and the results look so awesome!)

    Also...love the owls. They're adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been super busy lady!!! Love all the projects especially the dye job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The owls are adorable! Totally inspiring- I might need to make some now :)
    Also, your yarn is beautiful- I recently made something quite similar. I cant wait to see a FO made with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the yarn looks like sherbet!!! And I love the greenish owl, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that yarn looks lovely.
    They're not colours i'd usually go for but its really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very successful koolaid dyeing - quite inspiring really!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything is so cute! I love that orange, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your owls are super adorable! Beth got a great one...love the purples. Your kool aid yarn is beautiful. Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both Sugar Plum and Spangle are so cute! You did a wonderful job with the Kool-Aid dyes. I think that this colourway is my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, your owls are so completely cute! (I can see you are a magpie too!) And your dyed yarn turned out wonderful, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your owls, they are too cute. That died yarn is gorgeous, I've never done it before but will give it a go someday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your owls are so adorable! It's been a while since I did any origami too, I used to be obsessed when I was a kid. Perhaps I should dig out my stash of papers!

    Love the yarn you dyed, it's so addictive, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am loving all of the owls going on in this post! They are adorable. I love sugar plum! The mini skein you dyed is really nice too. I want to try that someday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The owls are adorable! I especially love Spangle.

    I LOVE the colors you chose for your yarn dyeing project. Any ideas what you will make with it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great! I love your choice of colors. Does Kool-Aid dying bleed or fade when washed, or does the heating process take care of that?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I love your little OWLS. They are everywhere! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Look at all those amazing owls!! And I love the Kool-Aid colors too. I tried that a long while ago with my kids, but we didn't attempt a multi-colored skein. That combo looks so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such cute owls :) I love the yarn you dyed too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I especially love your 'hairy-winged' owl! It reminds me of one I was gifted with some time back that I LOVE (here): http://woollove-functional-fiberart.blogspot.com/2011/04/more-fun-presents-from-friends.html

    ReplyDelete