Wednesday, February 22, 2012

It's Wednesday, So Here's Some Unfinished Stuff.

My first WIP this week has to remain a secret, as there's a slim chance the person it's for might see this.  But I took a sneaky photo.  This is a big, heavy, stripey project and while I've been ignoring it for a bit, I'm enjoying working on it more than I thought I would.

I'm also working on Lilac Cat 2.0, a commission that I should be more excited about than I am because commission work is intrinsically awesome and flattering.  Someone saw the first Lilac Cat at a craft fair and wanted one to give to a friend's daughter, and I was all OMG OKAY LOOK HERE I'LL DRAW A SKETCH OF THE CAT AND YOU TELL ME WHAT COLOURS YOU WANT FOR ALL THE DIFFERENT PIECES!  And then she asked me if I still had the exact yarns I'd used for the first one, which was semi-disappointing because I was hoping to do something new and different and totally custom in this little girl's Most Favourite Colour, or something.

And my favourite WIP of the moment, the Persephone shawl-to-be, a newly-released pattern with an informal crochetalong to go with over on Ravelry.  I'm doing this in Malabrigo sock in Persia, and from the minute I started it, I couldn't believe how well the colours were working up.  I've had so many weird experiences with skeins that look gorgeous but then just...don't work for anything I try to make with them, but I'm crazy about this thing already.  The way the greys show up reminds me of stones in a riverbed.  So far it has a 16" wingspan.

The pattern is great, it's only a two-row repeat and thus nice and easy to memorize and hook away on as you catch up with Revenge on Hulu at eight in the morning, but it doesn't look simple and boring at all.  One row has fans and V-stitches, the other has these adorable little picots.  It also has a really cool bleeding-heart-esque border row, for which I may have ordered some beautiful grey-taupe yarn that should be on its way to me at this very moment...

Go see what everyone else is hooking and non-hooking over at WIP Wednesday. :)

11 comments:

  1. awwwww lilac cat is CUTE.
    cant wait to see version 2!
    and that shawl looks SAVAGELY difficult. I'll stick to my ripples. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! A bodiless cat! You have lots keeping you busy, have fun making progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely projects and lovely pictures of them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This shawl look great! So beautiful! Thanks for the link, now I want to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Persephone! That's a gorgeous color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for commenting over at my blog. Your shawl is lovely.
    I taught myself Tunisian crochet last year too. I can only do square things, just like when I regular crochet. I don't know how to read crochet patterns!.
    Your mom's shawl is amazing. Bet it feels good too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That shawl is gorgeous - I love the colour, so scrumptious

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent projects! I love the shawl, it is so pretty. And yay for commissions, even if you didn't get to have as much fun as you wanted. It is always great to be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to seeing the finished shawl! The grey and the blue colors are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate trying to hide a WIP but your stealth pic looks really cool! I love the pattern on your shawl too! Can't wait to see the finished works!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, the malabrigo looks so pretty! Looking forward to seeing more of your stealth gift too. I'm intrigued... :)

    ReplyDelete