Friday, February 3, 2012

Ocean Friends, Cozied-Up Tunes, New Skills.

So here's the bigger project that last week's fishie was a part of---a tentacle-and-friends scarf!  A homework assignment at the Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet House Cup on Ravelry for January was "craft something inspired by marine biology," and once I finished the scarf (my second one from this pattern, still an A+ tv-makin' project) and saw its tentacle-ish-ness, I knew I had to whip up some little marine amigurumi to add in.

The seahorse is from this excellent pattern,which has some adorable shaping, although the directions for the tail decreases are a bit wonky.  And rather than frog and fix, I decided to do something different and crocheted a chain with some wire in it, then wrapped the whole thing in the project's yarn (which is a baby/sport weight, I wasn't sure I'd like making an ami with it, but I did.), so now it has a longer and more authentically prehensile tail.  The eyes on this guy are temporary, as I was in a hurry and "embroider on little lines with yarn, then run down to the beach to photograph!" was the quickest fix I could think of.

And a tiny crab (that pattern is a Ravelry link), one of those amaaaazing little crochet patterns where you sit down with your hook and some yarn and like, ten minutes later, bam, something cute!  I think I'm coming around to working with cotton yarn, with each project I do in it, I like it a little more, especially the way it makes the single crochet stitches for amigurumi projects really pop.

And I made myself an mp3 player cozy in (mostly---I didn't do the black) hand-dyed wool!  I was impressed with how satisfactorily purple Wilton's purple icing dye was.  Purple can be a tricky one, especially to mix on your own.  (...One time in high school, a friend and I were trying to make Mardi Gras cupcakes with purple, yellow, and green icing, and we were all red food colouring + blue food colouring = PURPLE ICING!  It didn't.  It equalled omg zombie brain grey icing.  So I was happy to not end up with zombie brain grey yarn, since what I wanted was brightass Knight Bus purple.)


But my favourite FO this week is this scarf-for-Amineko, because I knitted it!  ...Sort of.  I used the Knook hooked crochet hook thingie in my right hand (baby steps) and a conventional knitting needle in my right---a hybrid process designed by my dear mum when I told her the Knook's "knit onto a piece of rattail cord" method seemed like cheating---to try and get used to the different motion of knitting without driving myself batty because how can I move the yarn without a hooked bit to hold it, which was a big part of what frustrated me when I tried to learn to knit a couple years ago.

I had so much fun making this wobbly, ugly, I am seven years old and learning to knit at Girl Scouts! thing.  Of course, it turns out that I was having fun because I was Doing It Wrong and now have to try and correct it, which is less fun. But I'm working on it.  I'm not sure if I'll ever love or be as comfortable with knitting the way I do crochet, but it's a start.  There's nothing in the world like learning something new, those moments when you start to feel more comfortable and understand and get into a rhythm. 

Also finished this week (just this morning, in fact, it was already a day overdue at the library):

Uncle Stevie's doorstop.  A weird book, with a clash between realistic and supernatural/sci-fi elements that sometimes felt jarring to me, but definitely gripping and interesting and with a few moments that really, really wowed me.  I got lost in this book for chunks of time in a way that I'd kind of forgotten was possible, which was nice.

Linking up, as usual, with the amazing circles of crafty people at Fibers on Friday and FO Friday---go see their work!  Their knitting is much, much better than mine, I promise. ;)

20 comments:

  1. Congrats on the little scarf, the first couple times I tried to learn to knit, it didn't click. But about 10 years ago, I tried again - and this time it made sense and it's been my favorite since then. I do need to get back to doing some crochet ~ thanks for sharing...
    sweet fishy scarf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ocean friends scarf. The seahorse is especially cute! The Knook scarf looks great. I am going to have to search for a YouTube video on it because it looks very intriguing. Just have fun with it and everything else will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ocean friends scarf is SO CUTE! My favorite has to be the seahorse (as if I needed another pattern to add to my ever-growing queue!!).

    Where's that Harry Potter group you're a member of? Not that I'm shopping around or anything. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: I have total faith in you that you'll someday be knitting. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the way about crochet that you must feel about knitting. I can crochet a flower, and well, a flower. And that's about it. I want to do more but I'm still faithful to my knitting mistress. I love your ocean friends, the seahorse is especially adorable. Way to go on your scarf too, I think it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your projects are so cute! You did a great job figuring out a solution to the sea horse tail. It looks fabulous. You are on your way to knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Both the amigurimi are so cute. I think the seahorse is my absolute favorite. (Don't tell the crab!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha I love the resourcefulness of your "knitting" that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I won't lie: I'm the same about crocheting that you are about knitting. I'm so used to my needles that when I put the hook in my hand, it's like having to learn to walk all over again...and I suck at it. I mean, I know how it's supposed to work and what SC and DC and all that mean but I'm just not comfortable with it. Oh well...

    Have you tried Tunisian Crochet? It's kind of like a combination of knitting and crochet...might be worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the seahorse, how cute! I would be thrilled to be able to crochet, a hobby that is still pretty unknown to me....I can get as far as a chain! I love seeing what others are reading, that is so cool, I only read on my Ereader - so I can't really take such nifty images of what I am actually reading :-(

    Thanks for sharing
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That seahorse is just precious, and the wee brown scarf - love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm totally loving the 'tentacle and friends' scarf that you made!! I really, really love 'science and nature' fiber projects! Well done, girl! XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your projects are amazing, I especially love the seahorse! You got a lot done in one week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for new techniques, learning a new skill and reading a great book!!!!

    I look forward to see more of your knitting. We'll be each other's cheering squad as you learn to knit and I, crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the marine creatures, very cute! And the scarf looks like knitting, so I can't see what's wrong with it (says the person who taught herself to knit, and apparently holds her yarn all wrong!) If it works for you, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, that marine scarf is adorable!

    Great job on the knitted scarf! I think I feel the same way about crochet as you do about knitting. I think you're knitting is better than my crochet though, I'm yet to ever complete a crocheted project! As much fun as it is to learn a new skill, it can also be equally frustrating at times!

    Wow, I had no idea the Stephen King book was that big! I've just downloaded it for my kindle, so it's on my to-read list for this year. It sounds so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the little ocean guys!!! How sweet they are!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you finished the book and enjoyed it1 Love the marine life!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have done really well the the hand-dying, your projects look good :) and I thought I would let you know that I have given you an award :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute cute cute. What fun your marine biology goodness!

    ReplyDelete