Friday, March 30, 2012

And Out Like a Lamb. A very yarny lamb.

 Ah, March.  You were a weird month, with no time for bloggin', and thus this is a big old cheaty "things what I made all month" post---and this isn't even all of it!  I made a vow at the beginning of March to start and finish a small craft every day for National Craft Month, and I've actually stuck to it!  (Although, I won't lie, some of the stuff got "finished" just for the sake of finishing and then frogged.)  But my Solemn Vow ended up with lots of weird, small projects getting made, like the Purim goodies pictured above.  I'm not Jewish, but I love the idea of Purim (it has costumes! and noisemakers!), so I took out some kids' picture books about it from the library to learn a little more, and then made myself up a Queen Esther crown (try the pattern! it's fun and just takes a few minutes.  I bet it would be awesome to make one in wool and felt it...)  The hamantaschen was a novel experience---instead of looking for patterns, I looked at recipes to see how the actual cookies are constructed (you fold a circle of dough around some filling into a triangle), and then crocheted some shapes to make a yarny version.  This is an apricot-filled one, clearly. ;)

I managed to make myself a couple actually-functional hats, too.  The first one is the ever-popular Divine Hat, which I'd made a version of in November-ish and enjoyed.  Sadly, wearing the hat makes me look sort of...mushroomy.  The hat on the right is just a big circle of double crochets, and the yarn (a skein of Cascade Nikki, which is super-bulky and thick-and-thin and, apparently, self-patterns into a star, which was the coolest surprise ever) made it look more interesting than it really is. 

I whipped up some shamrocks for an impromptu Saint Patrick's Day yarnbombing session, which made me remember how much I enjoy yarnbombing, so I've embarked on a bunch of other tiny ventures in the same vein that will be surfacing at a later date, and with a request for Input from you Dear Readers.


I've also made a couple seasonally-appropriate bunnies, one just from my usual "AS TINY AS POSSIBLE!" brain-pattern, and the other (the better-lookin' one, on the right) from this pattern, which has some of the best constructed ear-shaping-for-a-tiny-rabbit I've ever seen/used.  Definitely give it a try if you're in need of a quick little Easter basket treat to make up.


Here's another recommended Easter-quickie pattern, discovered through an Amigurumi of the Month group on Ravelry.  This is Cho the Easter Chick, named after Kimball Cho on The Mentalist, as that's what I was watching while I made up most of Cho and half of his shell.  

And I finally finished my commission cat.  I'm not terribly pleased with it---trying to remake something is difficult, especially when you don't have your reference photos of the original while you're working on it. Ugh. :|  Remind me, should I be lucky enough to get an order like this again, that taking can you make something exactly like this other thing you already made? requests may only lead to frustration and disappointment!

And before I forget---the winner of my March mini giveaway is...

Erin of the Knitting Squid!  :D  So while I go leave her a comment about her surprise (because I think everyone, including me, forgot that I ever had a mini giveaway going on...) winning-ness, you should all go check out the ever-awesome Fibers on Friday and FO Friday.

8 comments:

  1. Woah! I'm really impressed by how much you have gotten done! Amazing! That is such a great idea to try and finish something new every day. Congrats for sticking with it and finishing so many great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can't believe you made so much in a month! I love all the projects, and how you've embraced Purim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! You've created a plethora of adorable and fun projects!
    (How could you have had time to blog?!?!?!) XXO-

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I haven't had those little triangle cookies in YEARS, and I desperately want one now. (thank you for telling me they are called hamantaschen haha! I didn't even know that.) I love everything you've made! I love that you always seem to make things just for the love of making it! I try to do that too, I think it's the best way to craft =)

    I'm excited to get that little flower! it will definitely get me in the mood for spring =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment on my blog. You have had a very busy making month, what a lot of beautiful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this came at the perfect time, since I'm right in the midst of crocheting Easter themed objects.

    I see so many items on this one page that I absolutely adore. I'm bookmaking, and adding your site to my RSS feed reader, currently visiting other WIPs, but when I have time this evening I'll be back to check out the patterns and created a few more Easter crocheted items. My eight-year old daughter will love them, and so will her best friend.

    I love your Purim inspired crochet. That cat is adorable, I think you did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been busy, busy, busy! Amazing projects as always. I especially love Cho the Easter chic. I can't wait to see what future yarn bombing plans are brewing.

    ReplyDelete