Friday, April 20, 2012

Ends, Tied Up and Woven In.


Hooray for FO Friday and Fibers on Friday! I didn't think I'd be finishing this headband in time, but all of your nice comments about the yarn (which is from the sadly defunct Sheep Shop Yarn company, it's Sheep One in the "Sprite" colourway), and the fact that it's too warm for a hat but not warm enough to leave my head uncovered, spurred me on and I sewed on the button and wove in the ends this afternoon.  And then wore it as I finished reading Harold and Maude, which wasn't at all as emotionally affecting as the movie, but was worth the read.

 Here's the headband in action.  I love the way this yarn held the stitch texture---this is a crocheted Calorimentry copycat, and it's just plain old half-double crochets alllll the way through, but it looks so much more interesting than that because of the yarn.

But now on to this week's Big Finish, the shawl(ette)!

Seen here unblocked (and flanked by dandelions and my rain boots)...


...and blocked!  This is my first experience with blocking anything bigger than an ornament, and I'm thrilled.  I can't wait to finish something in a lighter-weight yarn and try the process again!  This yarn (well, not the bordery bits, which are Bernat Alpaca Natural Blends in plum) was a completely amazing bulky-weight surprise of bliss sent to me by someone on Ravelry with whom I made a swap a while back.  I bought her some patterns in exchange for a different skein of yarn (which will someday make its glorious appearance on this blog...), and she sent this along, too.  It's a merino/alpaca blend, and working with it was a dream---so soft, and watching the colours glide through my fingers as I made the rows of chunky double crochets that make up this shawl was mesmerizing. 

And naturally, I'm insisting on trying to wear it bandit-style, like the cool kids do, despite its hilarious bulkiness.  I'm not sure whether I'm going to add tassels or not.  I was all gung-ho about the tassels as I was working on it, but now that it's done and un-tassled, I sort of like it as is.

I also made a mug cozy,  which I equipped with needless bobbles.

And learned to make crocheted i-cord!  I combined this excellent video tutorial from PlanetJune with a different tutorial that made the cord using a base chain of two instead of a base chain of three (which makes the whole thing less fiddly), and sat around watching an episode of Raising Hope and getting into the rhythm of the technique.  And then I sewed the cord up into a pretzel shape and embroidered on some salt.

 And the bookworms (and fish, not pictured) have been busy, recommending things like Sharon Creech's Love That Dog (a novel-in-poetry that successfully broke through my mental embargo on novels-in-poetry, see also: Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse) and Koyal Dark, Mango Sweet by Kashmira Sheth.

Also, I wanted to issue some heartfelt thank-yous to Natalie, Susan, and Shannon for nominating me for the Versatile Blogger Award.   I never have the kind of time and energy for blogging that I'd like, so the fact that you guys like the stuff I do manage to post is really amazing to me.  I'm thrilled beyond belief to be inspiring you with my weird little projects!

13 comments:

  1. All of the FOs are great. I especially love your cute little pretzel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! You have been a busy crafter this week and accomplished so much! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my....that pretzel it too much!! I was telling my family about your bookworm project...everyone really thought it was cool :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do amazing things with a crochet hook! First off, awesome headband. We are moving into slightly warmer weather and they are a must! Secondly, the shawl is amazing! I like it as it is without the tassels, and the colours together just pop! Mug cosy is adorable too, and bobbles are never needless :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the headband and the shawl is absolutely gorgeous! The bookworms are just brilliant, what a great idea. And I love mug hugs! The pretzel is fab too! Hope you have a great weekend! Laura x (cutecrochetedcreations)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your mug cozy with the "needless" bobbles - aren't bobbles fun to do? Lately many things I make require some crocheting - I have got to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of your projects!
    The headband is perfect. I have one that was gifted to me last year and it is great to wear on those days that you need some warmth but not too much.

    The shawlette is BEAUTIFUL! I love the colors and how it looks on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the headband-I'm going to ry to make one for my 6 yr old granddaughter-that shawlette looks really nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh beautiful! I love the headband.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had a very busy week! I'd like to try a headband sometime, because I could use one. I love the colors you chose for your shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG - you always have the cutest things!!! I love the headband and the shawlette - so pretty, but that pretzel - too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is always so thrilling to see wearable crochet items from you. The headband and shawlette look awesome on you. I like to wear my shawls bandit style, too. Love the cute pretzel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you've been busy! That shawlette is gorgeous, I'd never have thought of making a shawl with bulky yarn but it really works! Love the headband too. You're right, those stitches really do pop, and it's such a fun colourway! Shame it's not available any more. And congrats on the Blog award!

    ReplyDelete