Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lots more booky things than yarny things going on this week, which is interesting---just not photographically interesting!  I'm sort of at a so many ideas, so little time place with the crocheting, so while I have a whole Mental Queue (...which reminds me that I should learn to actually use my Ravelry queue one of these days.) of Things to Make, the only things actually on the hooks/waiting for finishing are some more yarnbomb bookmarks and a baby bootie that I'm pattern testing (and which is destined to be frogged, so it only sort of counts).

Working with doubled yarn isn't something I've done much of, it's a little challenging!  This pattern is cute and uses some other techniques (like decrease stitches using two stitch types/heights---instead of just "sc 2 together," there's "sc-hdc together" or "hdc-dc together") that I hadn't tried before, which is always cool.

But now, books.  I want to talk about books.  I'm branching out a little this week from my mainly-steady reading diet of kids'/YA novels---although of course, I've got one of those in there---Falling In by Frances O'Roark Dowell, which begins with the sentence On the morning this story begins, Isabelle Bean was convinced she was teetering on the edge of the universe. and only gets lovelier from there.  Definitely one of those stories where like, ten pages in, I was already wondering how quickly and from what library I could acquire the author's other novels.  It's seriously charming, with a funny, current voice that's very sharply self-aware of the kidlit/fairy tale tropes it's playing with, and (so far, I guess I'm about halfway through) a very satisfying balance between humor and poignancy.  ...Also, it's one of those books that makes me want to make things.  In this case, I sort of want to crochet a fairy (even though the book has yet to feature, and probably will not ever feature, an actual fairy).  Any pattern recommendations?

But I also grabbed a small volume of poetry to celebrate the tail end of National Poetry Month (I wanted to read some Edna St. Vincent Millay, but I'd walked to the library and the only poems of hers they had were in a collection too big to carry home!), Partly Cloudy by Gary Soto.  It's been a long time since I've read any poetry, really, and this collection read fast and really authentically High School (it's all love poems from the POV of teenagers), it reminded me of the stuff I used to write when I was that age, but somehow without making me feel mortified about it, which was nice.

And I decided to try and encourage my inner geek with The Pluto Files, because while I love the night sky, I don't actually know anything about astronomy, and that's sad.  I'm liking the book so far, Neil deGrasse Tyson's writing is funny and easy to follow (well. most of it.  the explanation of what a parsec is sort of went over my head...).  Poor Pluto.  I was legitimately sad when it became an un-planet.

Linking up with WIP Wednesday and Yarnalong.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I am SO off to check out that Falling In book. That opening line has suckered me in. It sounds beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it's not just me who got all enchanted by it! :D I picked up the book because of the pretty font design on the spine, but the second I read that line, I knew it was coming home with me post-haste.

      Delete
  2. I've been without internet for 2.5 weeks, and therefore without Ravelry for patterns, so I have been doing a ton of reading too!! And no, not interesting to photograph, especially seeing as I always take the dust jackets off my books! lol

    And I totally took that last space on the PIF post! Anyone who is sad for not getting on with you can certainly come over and pick up one of the spots I have though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a cute bootie....it's always fun to learn new techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love the planets and whole solar-system stuff (technical term, I know) and wished I could find out more - the Pluto Files sounds like something I should search out.
    Also love your little bootie. Very sweet.
    If fairy crochet is your current crush, then I would really recommend Beth's blog By Hook By Hand (sorry can't do the clever linky thing, but google it). She has loads of patterns for cute dolls.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, me, too---the de-planeting of Pluto just wasn't right. Sad, really. That was part of my science "history"! Thanks for the book suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really, really need to sit down with a book this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely understand what you mean by so many ideas, so little time. I'm feeling that way as well, in many different parts of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute bootie; I made a similar pair for my parents and my daughter. I still haven't made one for myself. I need to add myself into the crochet making equation. ;)

    I love poetry, so will have to check out the book you recommended. I have a very old poetry book, from the late 1700's, the title of the book escapes me at the moment, but it's one of my favorite reads. Now, I'm going to have to hunt for that book.

    These days, while crocheting, I've been listening to audio books. It's a brand-new experience for myself, since I much prefer to hold the book and read...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't read much poetry but maybe I should. I have so many ideas as well and not enough time on my hands. My you gain time for your pursuits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to love love love reading YA books, but I totally fell out of that habit when I got to college and had to read (sometimes boring but not always) "adult" stuff ALL the time. but I miss kid lit! I'm going to look into some of the books you mentioned to read this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never usually read poetry but I admire those who do. Love the yarn you have laying with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many ideas so little time- yep, I can definitely empathise with that!! Thanks for your comments on my blog, especially the one about my Grandad :-) He would have been really touched to read all the comments my lovely blog friends have left about his work! Thank you. Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It came to my mind that I should definitely have to read more... This is a fantastic idea that you have poetry month in the US, we have just poetry day (11th April) in Hungary.

    ReplyDelete