Friday, April 27, 2012

The Magical Multiplication of Bookworms!!

So I have a couple goofy little amigurumi FO's this week---this little citrus-fruit/octopus hybrid, made from a super-cute, addictively tiny and quick pattern by the awesome Lucy Ravenscar.  I got inspired to make one (or more. there will be more.) after seeing these sweeties by Odd Socks.

And I made up a silly little beaver finger puppet...

 ...and added cupcakes and stars to my bookmark yarnbomb repertoire.  But all of that pales in comparison to the discovery I made yesterday in one of the three local libraries I've dropped off bookmarks in so far.

 I have inspired another bookworm yarnbomber.  As I was walking through the kids' fiction section, looking for a copy of Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse to add a bookworm to, and also picking up some more of Frances O'Roark Dowell's novels (I finished Falling In and it stayed wonderful to the end, so next up is Dovey Coe...), I noticed a little tag hanging out of one of the books.  Attached to a crocheted worm with seed bead eyes.

A crocheted worm with seed bead eyes that I didn't make.  Which means that someone---a mysterious fellow book-loving crocheter!!---saw the worms I've been dropping off the past couple weeks and decided to join in, which is the the most. amazing. thing. ever.


 This one was recommending Carl Hiaasen's Hoot.  (A recommendation with which I concur, I read it a few years ago and loved it, it's actually what got me into Carl Hiaasen's books for grown ups.)  So I trolled through the kids' fiction aisles on pins and needles, iPod (...sorry about the crappy photos) in hand, looking for more!  And there were more!

One recommending The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo (which I dutifully checked out, as one should trust a bookworm!).

 And a third, recommending The Mysterious Benedict Society, a book which I hadn't heard of and plan to check out in the future.

I'm still grinning ear to ear just uploading these photos, I'm so excited that other people (and this includes all of you amazing blogland friends!) like this idea and want to play along.  Hooray for crafting and reading and combining those two things into a hybrid creature of happy awesomeness!  I'm sort of thinking of starting a bookmark-recommendation yarnbombing group on Ravelry...

(Fridays, as always, are for FO Fridays and Fiber Arts Friday.)

18 comments:

  1. Say those amigurumis are adorable, I'll have to check them out.

    It's so nice to see that you've inspired other yarnbombers. I've been thinking about doing something similar at my local library, but was unsure if the library staff removed the bookmarks. It looks as if they don't at yours, so hopefully, it's the same at the library I frequent. /fingers crossed

    I'm unsure if I'll be posting anything for Finished object Friday, although I did get things completed, I haven't gotten around to taking the pictures or posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great. This post has ME smiling ear to ear. I love that you have a secret yarn bombing partner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just see the librarians ripping those right of the books. When I was kid always hated going to the library and now as an adult...I know why. They weren't nice. There were old, grumpy and hard to get along with. What a cute cute clever idea. How did you come up with the idea in the first place? Did they, the library...approve it? I'd like to pass this idea along to my DD who's a huge lover of books. My neck of the woods just isn't hum, shall we say very geared towards new things.

    Gonna add you to my blog log to make visiting back and forth easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a neat idea, I know that I would definitely love to find a bookworm in it's native environment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE THIS!!! I can't believe someone joined in. So awesome!!!!!! You totally rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the beaver finger puppet. I should make some for my son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That beaver is am.az.ing!

    I am taking my daughter out to get our public library cards tomorrow, and will definitely be getting into "The Bookworm Bombing" as soon as we have enough books under our belts that we can make recommendations on :) Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post made me want to go to my local library and yarnbomb some books. So awesome that you have a mysterious partner in crime. The citrus octopus and beaver are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable ami's! I love those little octopuses (octopi?!) and definitely want to make some- I saw them on Katie/Oddsocks blog too- I like your twist to them! The beaver is adorable!! I was sooo excited when I read about the mysterious new bookworms!! How fantastic that you've inspired someone else! I bet you were over the moon when you saw them! Thanks for your comments on my blog, I've uploaded my little pattern to Rav :D Have a great weekend, Laura xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! I absolutely LOVE the bookworm idea. I'm pretty sure our library here wouldn't mind at all. So inspiring and Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gah! I love the little teeth on that beaver! It's the little details that makes your pieces so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those bookmarks are so cute!! AND what a great idea - I am thinking of doing this at our library! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is incredibly exciting! I'm grinning ear to ear just reading this!! We hold our Girl Scout Troop meetings at our library. This would be a fun project for them!! I just have a feeling our snooty librarian would be against it for some reason. I mean, we give him treats and thank you cards all the time for letting us use the space, and yet he'll still walk in a 7pm and say, "that's nice, but I still have to be mean and kick you out"....lighten up, guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a cute amirgurumis! I love these little guys you made!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a cute idea!!! sending it along to my library!!!! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing things here. I am very happy to peеr уour aгticle.
    Thanks so much and I am tаking а look forward to сontact you.
    Will you pleasе drop me a mail?

    my pаgе ... cheap shopping

    ReplyDelete